Florida keys find. Suspect items

Linesider

Apr 16, 2024
SFL. Dade,keys,treasure coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had posted some lead figurines I found in the keys. All heavy 3-6oz. Well rest of story goes. They were up agains a wood. Not a tree log but some sort of worked wood. From what i was able to see. under sand and some shallow water. I was able to uncover topside. Up to about 5’ long but goes longer. About 8-10 thick top. the width/height I wasnt able to determine. Yet. I was able to dig up the lead items that were pressed up against it. I scooped and dug about 2.5._3ft deep and maybe 3-4ft wide against this log. Wasn’t able to ever feel bottom edge. As I’m scooping these items. There is also some rocks,stones that are not from this area. Any ideas yall might have. I’m i over thinking this?? I plan on taking a probing rod see if I can determine the size at least. Then decide if I’ll dig up. These some of the rocks along with lead figurines. I left most the rocks there but all averaged this size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 7

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had posted some lead figurines I found in the keys. All heavy 3-6oz. Well rest of story goes. They were up agains a wood. Not a tree log but some sort of worked wood. From what i was able to see. under sand and some shallow water. I was able to uncover topside. Up to about 5’ long but goes longer. About 8-10 thick top. the width/height I wasnt able to determine. Yet. I was able to dig up the lead items that were pressed up against it. I scooped and dug about 2.5._3ft deep and maybe 3-4ft wide against this log. Wasn’t able to ever feel bottom edge. As I’m scooping these items. There is also some rocks,stones that are not from this area. Any ideas yall might have. I’m i over thinking this?? I plan on taking a probing rod see if I can determine the size at least. Then decide if I’ll dig up. These some of the rocks along with lead figurines. I left most the rocks there but all averaged this size.
Looking at these things, my first impression is that they are trade trinkets for tourists.... I don't think they are very old by design, No sailing ships had propellers, and the quality appears to say "modern" But even so some very interesting finds. I can't speak for the stones, I know old sailing ships had stones for ballast but these are way to small for that..
Have you tested any of these pieces for silver ? because silver in salt water turns that color and you might not know unless you test it .... Although a field test for flexibility / bendability might determine if they are in fact lead. (lead will bend easily but silver will not.
I personally would chalk these up as "interesting and fun finds" but not historical in nature...

OP
OP
L

Linesider

Apr 16, 2024
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Tyvm. yeah they definitely lead. Cast/poured/mold can see seems. The stones are not rocks from this area and that log they were against was man worked. We did have a railroad that ran by here. Possible but seems the wood is to tall And im not sure what stones were used to pave the tracks then. There was a trading post not too far from here. Along with dozens of hurricanes. I understand the odds. This all could have just been decorations in someone’s yard. part the hunt. Gotta luv it. Either way im going back Thursday when low tide is at a reasonable time I’ll probe to size up log. And see if it’s feasible to dig up. Plus i was still getting hits along that log sooooo

OP
OP
L

Linesider

Apr 16, 2024
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Well i have some updates. Went back dug and probed around with a rebar. Seems the board might be an old sea wall if not old Flagler railroad foundation. They are deep rebar 5’ plus 4’ hole. Sunk rebar all the way in. They seem to have a seem every 10-12” left to right. With all the tops broken off at see levEl. Either way too much to dig up. Time to do some homework first. I did find something new along with some details of previous lead items. Seems the lead items,rocks,and coins was part of a religious ceremony/offering. As i found 1 the same items in terry shannons book. After sending pics around to some people in that field. It was also confirmed. Religious offering. To a sea god.

Attachments

• IMG_7785.jpeg
    IMG_7785.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7784.jpeg
    IMG_7784.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
OP
OP
L

Linesider

Apr 16, 2024
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
i did fInd 1 item all encrusted some type of box, heavy af. think it was in the high 40s on the equinox 900. Cleaned up when i got home. Now not sure wtf to do with it. It was open on one end And empty. Bronze im guessing…..yes it’s exactly what i think u think it is ….

Attachments

• IMG_7796.jpeg
    IMG_7796.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many of these before, and am pretty sure of where you are. They recently dug this area for repairs, and stirred up even more of these lead items....I've posted a few before, and am still not 100% sure what there all about. There are many santeria shrines, and other voodoo stuff that get set up on the shorelines, and this particular spot on the fill islands had the railway foundations right there....a few months back they pulled a bunch of railway materials from here. Still have no real logical explanation for these things ??

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly hurricane monument that was on the shoreline....or an urn....I find cremation stuff here all the time because people pull over here and sprinkle remains quite often....this is the nature of the fill islands...I get gold there sometimes from swimmers, and pounds of clad !! 🫡

OP
OP
L

Linesider

Apr 16, 2024
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I have found many of these before, and am pretty sure of where you are. They recently dug this area for repairs, and stirred up even more of these lead items....I've posted a few before, and am still not 100% sure what there all about. There are many santeria shrines, and other voodoo stuff that get set up on the shorelines, and this particular spot on the fill islands had the railway foundations right there....a few months back they pulled a bunch of railway materials from here. Still have no real logical explanation for these things ??
U said a couple words that leads me to believe u know where i was. And yeah after asking couple religious guys in miami they knew right away what those lead items are without me even giving them a hint. the access these days to any shore line down there is almost impossible… id luv to find local boat ramp also. 16 hewes. Perfect for that area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread