newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20191222_140519~2.jpg
20191215_232423.jpg

Pasco County, all are heat treated coral or agate.

Upvote 21

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! the lithic materials on all of them are all stunning.

Now, I looked up the Thonotosassa. I like that NA name. And it sure is shaped like many of those examples of the sqaure-stemmed variety. But I think yours is better made. It also displays a different kind flaking than the type is known to have (random). I believe it's called 'oblique transverse flaking'.

Thonotosassa
AKA: Palm River (Gray 1975)
Cluster: Ledbetter Stemmed Cluster
Edited by William Lunsford

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! the lithic materials on all of them are all stunning.

Now, I looked up the Thonotosassa. I like that NA name. And it sure is shaped like many of those examples of the sqaure-stemmed variety. But I think yours is better made. It also displays a different kind flaking than the type is known to have (random). I believe it's called 'oblique transverse flaking'.

Thonotosassa
AKA: Palm River (Gray 1975)
Cluster: Ledbetter Stemmed Cluster
Edited by William Lunsford

I agree, a lot of Thonto's are pretty thick and flaked off with large strikes. I have maybe 15 or more broken ones and some would have been really nice. I have seen a few nicer than mine and one made from Coral that you could see the polyps in.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, a lot of Thonto's are pretty thick and flaked off with large strikes. I have maybe 15 or more broken ones and some would have been really nice. I have seen a few nicer than mine and one made from Coral that you could see the polyps in.
It occurred to me that we have triangles in the New England Region that have the exact same characteristics (or diagnostics) in every way. But some have a little grinding on the basal area that sets them apart from the others by 3000 years.
I wondered if the difference in flaking may set the Thonto's (as you call them) apart as well.
Curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread