goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok... I've been working some materials from our wash here in Arizona and after sluicing it down and cleaning up the concentrates I'm finding a lot of what looks like flour silver in the black sands. Now I know that some of the gold here is very light colored because of the amount of silver mixed up in it but this stuff does not have any golden tint to it at all.

Is it possible that it's silver? ???

Upvote 0

pmgsourdough

Feb 13, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have to agree with Viper. Amalgamation is a beautiful thing! If you are going to attempt seperation, then please be cautious.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think it's mercury but that is a possibility as there was a lot of Cinnabar mined not to far from here. Hard to believe that there would be THAT much natural mercury running around though. I'm starting to think that it might be a good investment to pick up a small microscope so I can get a close-up view of this stuff. It's so small that even with my glasses on and using a strong magnifying glass it's hard to get a clear view of it. (No... My eyes aren't THAT bad. It's that small!)

What about using something like Tarn-X on a small sample of it to see if that cleans it up? I know it won't effect mercury but if it is oxidized silver I would think that would cause some kind of change.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you should throw it out and concentrate on gold. If you have a ton of it, that would be a different animal entirely.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's heavy enough to end up with the gold it might be Platinum. I find very fine flour platinum after I take the bigger gold out of the pan. It is heaver than gold, but I've only seen very fine flour platinum.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't get me wrong, it would be cool to have a sliver of silver in a vial, but you would have to have a bucket full to make any money. If it is platinum on the other hand......

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Already have some silver in a vial Kaz. That's what had me wondering. We've decided to send a sample off for analysis this week and I'll let ya'll know what we find out when the results come back. If nothing else it will be educational to say the least.

chowe

Mar 23, 2013
Where ever I throw my bed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep it,it adds up overtime.I find alot of it ranging from weathered to crystalline.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130415_062423.png
    ForumRunner_20130415_062423.png
    160 KB · Views: 172

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take a torch of any kind to it,if it melts it's silver--turns yellow gold --just looks at ya it's a member of the pt group-all good,some MUCH better-John :hello2:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be ABSOLUTELY sure it is not Mercury on gold before you use a torch.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
be ABSOLUTELY sure it is not Mercury on gold before you use a torch.

Trust me I will. I worked as a lab tech with a lot of dangerous stuff and I have NO interest in going "Mad as a Hatter" (Not that it would be all that much of a difference mind you) The sample is going out to the lab within the next day or two and I'll let them figure out what the heck it is and if it's worth saving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread