Fluorescent marbles

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Many of the old antique childrens' marbles fluoresce under a blacklight (UV light). So will 1930s glassware such as green or yellow/green Depression Glass (uranium glass) and McKee Jadeite. You can buy a UV flashlight using LEDs instead of lightbulbs on the Web for about $25. Any place that people dumped trash during the 1930s has lots of fluorescent glass. Ny house,patio and yard are full of this glass that I've found at local dumps.

OP
OP
M

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Give me several days

I've got a fine,new digital camera. But right now I'm too upset to do photography. Lost $300,000 via the recent stock market crash. Am terribly fearful of tomorrow's election results. Whoever wins determines my fate. I know who's going to win. Will take me a full week of drinking beers to drown my sorrows. Then I'll start posting photos. Went to the excavation at noon today and picked up another bucket load of fluorescent glass. By the way. You can buy books on collecting marbles on the Web or fastrack your education by going on Ebay and searching 'antique marbles' or 'antique childrens' marbles'. There's tons of marbles displayed with pics and data.

OP
OP
M

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Another good site..

Uranium glass is slightly radioactive but harmless. You can buy uranium glass marbles on the web. These are both antique and modern marbles. The modern marbles were made to be used in scientific research. I have a couple dozen of them. For fun I come into my uranium glass showroom (a vacant bedroom) during the night and turn on the blacklights. I'm having more fun than a clam at high tide http://1st-glass.1st-things.com/vaselineglass.html

OP
OP
M

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Green or pink/orange..

Antique marbles which light up under UV that shine bright green are rare. More common are marbles which fluoresce pink/orange. The green color is caused by the addition of 3% uranium oxide to the glass mixture as a colorent prior to melting. I have only dug one UV green marble that I date to 1915. I've dug a handfull of antique marbles that fluoresce pink/orange. In fact,I was a volunteer two months ago to help clean up my ghost town. I mentioned to one of the other volunteers that I collect marbles. Minutes later he approached me,told me he had found a marble where we were working around the foundation of a 1930-built house. The marble was bright yellow. He gave it to me. Later that night I aimed a UV flashlight at it. It turned a stunning color of pink/orange.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread