Foil wrapped large marble? Woody Held metal lid?

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_5668.jpg 100_5670.jpg 100_5671.jpg

Found these two items in my yard last evening. The round things looks like a large marble wrapped in foil. It looks to still be factory wrapped so I don't want to take off any more foil to determine what it actually is if possible. The second is a lid to something with an Indians player on it Woody Held. Any idea what these things are would be appreciated. Thanks

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The Woody Held item is what they called a "Topps Coin" 1964 era, I think.

... Site added to post: https://www.gfg.com/baseball/64coins.shtml Scroll down to coin number 29

As a kid living on a farm, we use to wrap marbles in tinfoil ..yup.. tinfoil .. not aluminum foil .. and shoot them skywards from our slingshots to drive the bats crazy at night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

osage express

Oct 22, 2012
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236-x2 --Whites TM808---Whites Bullseye 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
21QcILZAuYL.jpg The Lid as you call it is a 1962 Topps metal baseball card.....Woody Held..... Hope this helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called it a lid because I was unaware that they made round metal baseball cards. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info folks. Never know Topps made baseball coins. $2.75 in good condition. Mine........Price-less trash condition. Still neat finding something I never know existed though. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Woody Held! You dug up Woody Held! 8-)

Woody could play. He was part of the infamous Roger Maris trade.

This was the 1962 Salada / Schirriff:

1962_shirriff_coins.png
1962 Shirriff Baseball Coins #5, Woody Held

~~~~~~~~~~~~~+++~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The round things looks like a large marble wrapped in foil. It looks to still be factory wrapped so I don't want to take off any more foil to determine what it actually is if possible.

Marbles did not come from the factory with tinfoil ears or headdresses. I can only imagine a home decorated marble, perhaps made during a stimulating episode of the MMC starring Annette Funicello. 8-)

ANNETTE+FUNICELLO+slideshow.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't saying the thing was a factory wrapped marble. I said looked like. The foil did look to be precision wrapped as if it came from a factory. That's all I was meaning by that. If a kid did it, it wouldn't have been so tightly wrapped.

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I wasn't saying the thing was a factory wrapped marble. I said looked like. The foil did look to be precision wrapped as if it came from a factory. That's all I was meaning by that. If a kid did it, it wouldn't have been so tightly wrapped.

The ones we wrapped with tinfoil to "foil the bats" were very tightly wrapped. It didn't take much of an effort to wrap something very tightly in tinfoil. Aluminum foil on the other hand takes just a little more effort.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull that tin foil off the marble and lets have a look see. I have a small collection of about 80 of the 1964 Topps baseball "coins".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After getting criticism for saying looking like factory wrapped or at least that is what I meant. I was very tightly wrapped like candy from a factory. being a fat kid, I know what factory wrapped candy looks like! Thanks for the into on tin foil. Never used it.

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey poorman,

I meant no criticism, and was attempting to tell you the truth about marble packaging.

Sorry if you're feeling put upon...

10157077_1.jpg

Upvote 0

sanford.

Aug 3, 2005
I remember my dad telling me that when he was a kid in the late 1930's or early 1940's that they could buy a factory packaged cookie at the local country store that had a marble sitting in the center of it. He didn't say whether it was wrapped in foil or not, but it sounds logical. Can you imagine the law suits today if a kid found a marble in his cookie?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread