What's new

Folks, Eastern versus Western medicine.....

bill from lachine

Platinum Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
22,648
Reaction score
88,976
Golden Thread
0
Location
Quebec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

It seems quite a few people seem to follow holistic or Eastern methods of health or thinking.

Like a lot of things the Eastern philosophy on medicine is quite different than what's standard in the West.

Case in point when I was practicing kung fu....I was throwing the same punch over and over again....and because I wasn't paying the proper attention....I forgot to go full extension on one of my punches and managed to either tear or at least had a very severe muscle pull in my chest.

Every time I'd breathe it was like getting stabbed by an ice pick.

My sifu/master Lee administered acupuncture for 5 straight days and the problem completely
cleared up by the end of the week.

No other medical treatment or medications were required and the problem never recurred...still not 100% sure of how it works but it did.

Anyone else have similar experiences along these lines?

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Bill, holistic medicine has some value and I am glad it worked for you. People need to be very careful in relying solely on holistic medicine as ignoring a symptom could cost someone their life. I have not had good luck at the chiropractor vs regular doctor in the treatment of muscle spasms. The muscle relaxer pills were much more effective....
 
There was a study, and I wish I could give more information, that concluded that healing is more connected with faith in a system than the system itself. The study said African healers and others had a similar rate of success as western medicine.
Of course the snag here is where's your faith?
Watching Sixty Min yesterday about the medical ship and hundreds lined up for treatment makes me think maybe their faith is changing.
I used to gather wild plants for certain things and still do some. Not much grows where I live but I do have faith in them.
 
Bill, holistic medicine has some value and I am glad it worked for you. People need to be very careful in relying solely on holistic medicine as ignoring a symptom could cost someone their life. I have not had good luck at the chiropractor vs regular doctor in the treatment of muscle spasms. The muscle relaxer pills were much more effective....

H.L. Menkin (sp) said, "A person that has a chiropractor for a doctor gets the medical help they deserve." Don't know if that's true.
Too many medical people on both sides of the holistic issue aren't healers. Once a person finds a doctor that's a healer they will never go anywhere else. Like finding a great auto mechanic.
 
Bill, I think a good mixture of medicine is take 2 aspirins and a little dose of acupuncture. The Chinese have studied and understood the central nervous system for a few thousand years, and in many case western doctors do see the benefit of this alternative medicine. When you think about it, all acupuncture & acupressure do are to stimulate the body. It's control of the nervous system with a little dose of increased blood flow into affected areas.

Want healthy hair? WHen you wash you also massage your scalp, thus increasing the blood flow.
 
Spart,

Yep....after my sifu Mr Lee healed me....since he knew I was interested....after my workouts he'd call me up to his office in the corner of the dojo and show me the logic of how it worked....he had a plastic dummy....(not me...lol) which showed all the nerves, veins, etc...of the body and explained how everything was interconnected and acupuncture just unblocked the energy flows so the body could cure itself....

Regards + HH

Bill
 
I have, or should I say my ex Girlfriend has my book on acupressure. I'll get the title and author and e-mail if you're interested. I'll have to remind her to bring it on her next visit here too. The great part is the book has dozens of chapters and the opening chapter tells how you make your own personal measuring tape (in acu-inches) with a photo detailing from points you measure to the area to apply the pressure. It will also describe the method you need to apply. The book covers everything from soup to nuts :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom