What's new

Followed the Colonial Road: 1769 Hibernia, Connecticut Copper, and More

paleomaxx

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2016
Messages
842
Reaction score
6,915
Golden Thread
6
Location
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I broke from my usual fields and decided to walk this old path through the woods nearby. It’s just a dirt trail now, but on the 1850’s maps it’s a road with several farmhouses. What I was hoping to figure out was how old the road was since the parallel road I found and walked had a few coins (an 1861 British halfpenny and an 1864 civil war token), but nothing older which made sense since I later learned that the road was built between 1851 and 1858. As it turns out this road is much older...

At first I just found a few small brass pieces which looked old, but would be difficult to date. One of the more interesting ones is this round piece.

DSC07679.webpDSC07680.webp

It has threading inside on the top and bottom holes; could it be the pommel from a sword? Finally I hit a solid 86 on the Ace 400 8” down. After some very frustrating digging through packed down rocks out popped a copper coin.

DSC07750.webpDSC07751.webp

Thankfully the parts that weren’t worn show enough information to identify it. It’s a King George III Hibernia half penny. With the right light there’s just enough date left to see that it’s from 1769!

Right next to it were brass and iron tack pieces. They were a little closer to the surface though so I’m not sure if they’re from the same time period or just happen to be close by. Ten feet ahead though was another 86-87 at 8”.

DSC07753.webpDSC07754.webpDSC07756.webp

The ground was much rougher on this one, but once again just the right places were preserved and it turns out it’s one of my bucket-lister’s: a Connecticut copper! At this point I was starting to lose the sun, but I dug one more strong signal and found this piece:

DSC07757.webpDSC07758.webpDSC07759.webp

It’s pewter with silver plating and my first guess is the rosette from a colonial hat. I can’t find one quite like it online though; has anyone seen it before? All-in-all a very satisfying hunt and I have much more road to walk down so I’m sure I’ll have more for you guys!

P.S.
Here are the other bits and pieces from the hunt:

DSC07760.webp
 
Upvote 24
upper pic is an "ox nut" they put them on bull horns
nice hunt - nice finds
 
upper pic is an "ox nut" they put them on bull horns
nice hunt - nice finds

I thought ox nuts were much bigger than that? Congrats on finding the old road. That sounds like serious potential, and you've already scored some major finds.
 
Last edited:
Ox knob. Freudian slip?
 
Very nice hunt! The Hibernia is my favorite designed copper coin! And the "ox nuts" are totally dependent on the size of the ox.
 
Nice coin and relic finds! :occasion14:

The threaded object is an "ox knob", they would place them on the tip of their horns.
 
The Hibernia is a great find and I agree with Abe, just a phenomenal looking coin. One of my favorites in my entire collection is a 1766 Hibernia.

Anyway, great CT copper. Also a great coin.
 
Excellent finds, and looks like a very strong potential for more. If you are able to clean the Connie and/or post better pics would enjoy trying to attribute variety.

Real balancing act so far on the thread...amazing no one has posted a picture of an ungelded ox :laughing7:
 
All wonderful finds! Congrats! -Lisa & John
 
I would love to get more detail out of the CT copper. I don't want to get my hopes up on nailing down the exact type, but getting a conclusive date off of it would be fantastic. Does anyone have advice on bringing the detail out on these old copper coins?

Many thanks to Casper-2 for the identity of the copper piece, and for the laugh. :laughing7: Any thoughts on what the silver plated pewter piece could be?

I'll be back to the road tomorrow; hopefully I'll have some more cool finds/mysteries to post!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom