For anybody who has trouble kneeling.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I put this in the Tool Shed column already but I want those TH'ers who have trouble kneeling to be aware of this product. I still detect but I can only detect in chest deep water but now I think I've found the solution.

I've given up on TH'ing on land and wet sand beaches due to a leg disability. In parks or tree lawns, I'd get a signal and have a hard time getting down and even a harder time getting back up because of a lower leg disability, I'm 65 years old and can't kneel down and recover targets any longer so my metal detector sits in the corner gathering dust. . Even walking down a Wet sand beach, I'm good for about 30 minutes and then I need to sit down and a bench is up by the sea wall many yards away. I think I have found the solution to my problem called a Garden Kneeler. I changed the wording from their description to fit the detecting crowd.

For Seniors Citizens who can't kneel to recover their finds
Metal detecting will be a whole lot easier with a Gardener's Supply Garden Kneeler. You can use your arm strength to lower yourself for recovering a find, and then push yourself up again without straining knees or back. Flip the kneeler over and it becomes a convenient bench when you are in need of a rest. Frame is rugged and sturdy with locking legs, and folds flat for storage. Weighs just 8 pounds, so it's easy to carry. They retail for $40.
Garden Kneeler: Garden Kneeler and Seat | Gardener's Supply Exclusive

I plan to order one and experiment in different settings. Never give up, Never Surrender!:headbang: They are available at Walmart too.

Last edited:
I have trouble neeling.
New knee.
Dr says do not kneel . So what you offered is of no value.
Your Avacar shows about what I need................ I will investigate............... gonna get rough now.

man, I feel for you guys who have trouble kneeling, I love this hobby and understand that someday I too will struggle with the same thing likely. I couldn't imagine being told I cant and shouldn't detect, keep the faith guys, im sure theres a way, where theres a will, theres a way!

I think for the short term would be fine, long term not so good. I think that that extra 5 to 6 inch more height that your back is taking more abuse bending down farther (reach) to dig., Just my opinion, any one that uses it long term, report on your back conditions. I use a thick garden kneeling pad (foam type), this way your right next to the ground. Good luck on finding something that well help and keep you digging longer.

Does it come with someone to Carry it ? :tongue3:

Interesting idea though.

I Just use Knee Pads and use my long handle trawel
like a cane, to push myself up.
Surprisingly something has happened though.
Last time I was out I didn't have it with and didn't need to "push" myself up.
it all came natural.

I felt like a 50 year old again.
like a 21 year old when the collage Babes were in site :tongue3:

Calm before the storm ?

Thanks for posting !
Jeff

Last edited:
Kneeling is no problem, now standing up maybe a different story...LOL

Kneeling down is not the problem. It's getting back up that is the problem. I hunt wet sand at beaches but still need to sit down every 20-30 minutes and most beaches don't have benches at surf line. Rock jetties are handy but not found at Daytona Beach or New Symrna Beaches.

The one pictured had fixed wheels so it was a bear to use in a park or beach. I gave it to my elderly mother for her garden. The Garden Supply.com has a similar one with wheels that steer and the handle can be extended to 37 inches so I'll be able to pull it along while metal detecting the beach or parks. I'll have to rig up something to hold my long handled scoop which will fit in the basket. The item costs $90.00 not so bad and is called the Deluxe Tractor Scoot. Check it out.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/deluxe-tractor-scoot/40-131.html?start=1&cgid=LaborSavingTools_Cat

Last edited:
I checked out the ad you posted which shows a woman kneeling.

Contacted the dealer and she definitely doesn't come with the kneeler...darn!

The solution is to get a beach chair and point to a spot and have someone else do the digging. :laughing7:

OK, so the kneeling pad didn't fly. The same store sells a Tractor Scoot like the one pictured but its improved. It has a long handle attached and you can pull it like a wagon and steer it. I gave my old tractor scoot to my elderly Mom and it leaves me the ability to order this new one for my detecting. They are $90.00.

Deluxe Tractor Scoot with Bucket Basket: Tractor Scoot | Rolling Garden Seat | Gardener's Supply

Last edited:
Harbor freight has one similar for $59 & change. For soft sand / soil, you can cut off the axels and add longer ones and another set of wheels to literally make dual wheels all around. Made one for a neighbor before I found this. The only thing I'd change would be to add a piece of 2" conduit to the back axel to drag it & stick your scoop handle into, and one of those plastic bus trays instead of the little tray.

Thanks for the link, good idea. I too have problems getting up after being on my knees for a few minutes from bad veins in my lower legs. Its chronic so I'm always looking for new ways to keep hunting.

That's why grandkids come in handy. "Beepbeep. Here, dig that one. Beepbeep. Hey, bring your shovel; there's one over here." :D

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back