What's new

Forgot to mention this.

obsessedwithsilver

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
547
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
I also found 1987 p and d halves today. This is a miracle because I only search rims. For some reason I was looking at dates today as well. They were both in the same roll.

OWS
 
Upvote 0
I've read a couple of posts where a 40%er edge has looked like a clad. Always pays to check the dates. :icon_thumright:
 
it would be nice to have enough time to check every date but anyone who does massive volumes will tell you that there is just not enough hours in the day. after you edge search a while you can get good enough not to miss any. i am confident that i don't. there is another coin hunter on this board that gets some of my dump bags from time to time and he will tell you i don't miss any.
and if you have access to a coin counter to dump many of them will reject silver so that could be a back up as well. i have also found many clad proofs and clad commems just edge searching. once you have looked at about 300K in halves your eyes can spot the proofs and everything else that is not normal. kind of like a teller that can tell by the "feel" of a bill when they find a fake.
anyway just my thoughts
 
I find a lot of 40% with clad looking rims. I can still tell when I see one, it will look like a darker clad
 
the only clad dates that fool me sometime are the 71 and the 74. when in doubt i will check. and i have found some silver 40% that look alot like clad, but as stated one can tell a difference after he/she gets good at edge searching
 
silvercop said:
...kind of like a teller that can tell by the "feel" of a bill when they find a fake...

Yeah right. I've found that the vast, vast majority of bank tellers have pretty much no clue on how to spot a counterfeit note. That's the same reason they don't have a problem dishing out the silver :laughing7:
 
DrDetector said:
silvercop said:
...kind of like a teller that can tell by the "feel" of a bill when they find a fake...

Yeah right. I've found that the vast, vast majority of bank tellers have pretty much no clue on how to spot a counterfeit note. That's the same reason they don't have a problem dishing out the silver :laughing7:
the good tellers can. the ones that don't give a rip won't find anything simply because they don't care, about silver or anything else. there is this one teller in my town that calls the police everytime she gets a bill that is dated before 1960 because she believes it is counterfeit. she believes this because it won't mark with their counterfeit marker/detector. after about 30 minutes of trying to explain it to her (that older bills won't mark) i just gave up and took the bill. now when she calls i just go in and swap the bill out with her and leave. got some good older bills that way......some people are just plain stupid
 
silvercop said:
DrDetector said:
silvercop said:
...kind of like a teller that can tell by the "feel" of a bill when they find a fake...

Yeah right. I've found that the vast, vast majority of bank tellers have pretty much no clue on how to spot a counterfeit note. That's the same reason they don't have a problem dishing out the silver :laughing7:
the good tellers can. the ones that don't give a rip won't find anything simply because they don't care, about silver or anything else. there is this one teller in my town that calls the police everytime she gets a bill that is dated before 1960 because she believes it is counterfeit. she believes this because it won't mark with their counterfeit marker/detector. after about 30 minutes of trying to explain it to her (that older bills won't mark) i just gave up and took the bill. now when she calls i just go in and swap the bill out with her and leave. got some good older bills that way......some people are just plain stupid

Lol. I'm sure you probably have seen next to everything.
 
It is amazing on how good one gets at edge searching.I even caught British pennies which look like worn unreeded casino halves,but darker. I do wonder though how many keepers I threw back when I was starting out. I'm sure there were some.
HH
Rich
 
what is so funny is the teller i am speaking of is the head teller of that bank.
 
i was hoping that the guy that posts here would chime in and assure everyone that i don't miss any. i don't want to call him out or mention his name. one may ask how does he know it is my bag? my dump bank provides the bags for me and the branch name and number is on the bags. they also identify mine with another number incase they get any back that are short so they can debit my account.
 
I still get visually fooled all the time on rims but there is no question ever to the sound a 40%er makes hitting a bag full of clad if i do miss one.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom