Forgot to post this with my CW finds. Looks to be an arrowhead rock? Not sure.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2-18-12-Arrowhead.jpg
    2-18-12-Arrowhead.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 578
  • 2-18-12-Arrowhead2.jpg
    2-18-12-Arrowhead2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 0

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Def looks like its been flaked

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am fairly certain that that's not an arrowhead. Would have to see pictures of it cleaned to be able to tell you for sure if it was flaked by human hands or nature, from first impressions I'd guess natural though. Sorry. HH.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I did clean it, but it looks the same. Colors didn't change or anything when I washed it off. I'd like to think you're wrong, but I'm sure you're right. lol I've never found an arrowhead, but have seen them and mine doesn't quite look like them. On the other hand I did think it looked to be done by human. I will post the pictures of it cleaned later anyway just to show you.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not an arrowhead..possibly a stone hand tool. I find a lot of both in VA

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. I see you're in Winchester. That's where I found this.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny..I work in CT. Arrowheads around here are almost exclusively made of quartz. Stone tools quartzite or chert. I'm def no expert but have found quite a few native artifacts while relic hunting.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is it cleaned up and at different angles.

Attachments

• rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 365
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 391
  • rock3.jpg
    rock3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 446
  • rock4.jpg
    rock4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 463
  • rock5.jpg
    rock5.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 454

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
def looks knapped. throw it up in the pre colonial section and see what the experts say

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry But you don't have an Arrowhead, maybe a scrapper but I'm leaning towards a Geofac. When you find your first Arrowhead you will not have to ask anyone, :icon_thumright: HH

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what you're saying is, it could possibly be man made from what you can see? I have SEEN arrowheads in pics and agreed, mine doesn't look quite like one. I've stumbled across many rocks that have been carved out by nature to look like things, but this struck me as done by man for some reason. Perhaps it was the area I was in...don't know. Thanks for the responses! :hello2:

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Matt,
I would call that a "Blank". No- not like fill in the blank- literally a blank. When an indian picked up any stone of a decent size- he might take a few whacks at it to see if ti was going to flake off in a way that would make a good point. If it didn't- he toss it. That's called a blank. If it did chip good- he might hang on to it till he had time to set down an make a good point, but lost it prior to getting the chance.- That also is called a blank. Since that is chert and not quartz- they would have prefered to Cook the stone in a fire for a while to make it knap better, sharper, and had it been cooked- becasue of the silica- it would be quite shinny.
If it had some evidence of way way more chips and pressure flaking- it would be an arrowhead. Your's is just not there yet... Keep looking on top the rises close to creeks and springs- you find one and know it for sure.
Good luck.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1more4me said:
Matt,
I would call that a "Blank". No- not like fill in the blank- literally a blank. When an indian picked up any stone of a decent size- he might take a few whacks at it to see if ti was going to flake off in a way that would make a good point. If it didn't- he toss it. That's called a blank. If it did chip good- he might hang on to it till he had time to set down an make a good point, but lost it prior to getting the chance.- That also is called a blank. Since that is chert and not quartz- they would have prefered to Cook the stone in a fire for a while to make it knap better, sharper, and had it been cooked- becasue of the silica- it would be quite shinny.
If it had some evidence of way way more chips and pressure flaking- it would be an arrowhead. Your's is just not there yet... Keep looking on top the rises close to creeks and springs- you find one and know it for sure.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot and very interesting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread