Forrest Fenn s treasure

Don't make it overcomplicated- like I said before, pin down 'the home of Brown' location and see if the other clues fit in. Then, it's sort of reverse engineering, but too many folks on this thread are making it more complicated then it probably really is.

Working the process. I've got my home of Brown. Now it's time to put some ground work into it. Lets hope my home of brown doesn't turn into a turd.

I just saw on the news that a man has been arrested at Pecos Canyon for illegal digging under a Descanos (a memoral), looking for Forrest Fenn's treasure wonder if it's a poster from here,I'll post his name if they release it.

I just saw on the news that a man has been arrested at Pecos Canyon for illegal digging under a Descanos (a memoral), looking for Forrest Fenn's treasure wonder if it's a poster from here,I'll post his name if they release it.

It's at least good that it's in the news. Serves as a warning to respect property and not be stupid.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A collection of gold and jewels that a retired Santa Fe art dealer says he stashed in the mountains north of Santa Fe has generated so much interest from amateur treasure hunters that some have put their lives in jeopardy or been cited for illegally digging on public lands.

But authorities are warning people about more than being careful and following the law. They also note finders may not be keepers.

"If this treasure is buried, you would need to dig for it. And you can't dig anywhere in a national forest without a permit," said Bruce Hill, spokesman for the Santa Fe National Forest. "Even if it is not buried and it is just placed somewhere it becomes public domain."

Ditto for state lands, according to Department of Game and Fish spokesman Dan Williams.

Forrest Fenn was asked if he had considered land rights before hiding the chest. He said in an email that much has been written about land laws.

"I'm staying out of those discussions, except to say it may be fun to redefine some of the terms," Fenn said in the email.

The poem that Fenn published in his memoir, "The Thrill of the Chase," to give clues to the chest's whereabouts advises the treasure finder to "Look quickly down, your quest to cease, But tarry scant with marvel gaze, Just take the chest and go in peace."

But authorities currently seem to be more concerned about public safety than ownership questions as publicity about Fenn's claims to have hidden the 40-plus pound chest filled with gold coins, gold nuggets and ancient jewelry draws people to the northern New Mexico mountains.

Last month, a woman from Texas got lost in the mountains near Los Alamos overnight after seeing reports about the treasure on national television. But she was found safe the next day.

And Williams said the state plans to file charges against a man found digging last month under a descanso along the upper Pecos River last month. A descanso is a marker where someone has died or ashes scattered. Williams says the man told officers he was digging for Fenn's treasure.

Forest officials are urging treasure hunters to check with their office before setting out to make sure they have the proper gear and know the best places to go, Hill said.

"One of the concerns that we had is that this might invite people that really aren't familiar with traveling in a forest," Hill said. "They could get lost. They could step and stumble and turn an ankle ... maybe put themselves in a situation where they have to be rescued and maybe put other people's lives at risk."

Fenn said he has also posted caution notices on his web site and several blogs.

"Flatlanders don't realize how dangerous it can be," he said.

Mr. Fenn is going to have to rethink this somehow. Perhaps a contract will need to be a sealed deal before the treasure is picked up, and if a searcher comes to him with the right clues. When the contract's settled, then the searcher is going out to pick up his own property. I'm sure screening searchers is not how Fenn wants to spend his time. Somehow I think he also wouldn't want his treasure handed over to any government agency.

I guess it could be done by emailing him. First wrong clue, and it's the end of the search. He'd have to make it so people take this even more seriously--no searching on whims or hunches or you're on your own, and a searcher would have to go through the proper channels, but only gets one shot at it. No repeat emails (he's not a young man) saying you know where the treasure is and chance #2 or #22.

Then I don't know, maybe he just likes getting the mail, so three strikes and you're out. Seems fair to me, that is until his attorneys get hold of it. : )

Oh fooey. Maybe it would just get too complicated.

Last edited:
yeah... I agree... I'm only marking spots out that have an airport nearby, within 25-50 miles at least. I going flying with pilot buddies and it is not that hard to fly a plane, just a lot to remember and do. when you fly, you fly by tail number, he could have even rented a plane, and if he was a pilot in Vietnam and loved the outdoors then he for surely flew that treasure somewhere. I can almost guarantee the treasure is not in NM.

Hs anyone found a picture of his Piper Mirage that shows his tail number? There is a ton of information to be had if so...

Mr. Fenn is going to have to rethink this somehow. Perhaps a contract will need to be a sealed deal before the treasure is picked up, and if a searcher comes to him with the right clues. When the contract's settled, then the searcher is going out to pick up his own property. I'm sure screening searchers is not how Fenn wants to spend his time. Somehow I think he also wouldn't want his treasure handed over to any government agency.

I guess it could be done by emailing him. First wrong clue, and it's the end of the search. He'd have to make it so people take this even more seriously--no searching on whims or hunches or you're on your own, and a searcher would have to go through the proper channels, but only gets one shot at it. No repeat emails (he's not a young man) saying you know where the treasure is and chance #2 or #22.

Then I don't know, maybe he just likes getting the mail, so three strikes and you're out. Seems fair to me, that is until his attorneys get hold of it. : )

Oh fooey. Maybe it would just get too complicated.

Maybe I am to hard core for this generation but in my mind each and every person is responsible for their own actions. Example; If I tell you that I believe the treasure is in a certain place that is only accesable by snowmobile and you dont take the time to equip yourself with the proper clothing food and shelter and you die. Why is it my fault? YOUR safety and YOUR life are YOUR responsibility.

If I walk outside tomarrow with no other intentions but to get in my business partners truck and I break my ankle getting into his truck is it somehow his fault? I am of a mind that I say NO IT IS NOT his fault.

Somehow people here think that because Forrest Fenn has put millions out there for us to find that if ANYONE gets hurt as a result of looking for that treasure that it is his fault. Let me put it this way. I own an auction. 30 years ago someone ( a consigner) brings me a 70 inch projection TV and I pick it up and put it in the store / auction house. TODAY I try to pick it up I am in the hospital. Is it the responsibility of the consigner that I got hurt? Not in my mind. I was an idiot. I tried to do more than my body could handle.

If others dont properly prepare in a way that they can handle WHY is it Forest Fens fault if they get hurt. Your physical safety is YOUR responsibility. You freeze... it's your fault for not preparing for the worst. If you break a leg and starve, could you please tell my why you didnt protect yourself by bringing a SAT phone? YOUR safety and LIFE is YOUR responsibility. YOU decide to go hunting, YOU decide what you need with you, YOU hold your life in YOUR hands but somehow if something goes wrong its HIS fault. How about grow up and be responsible for YOU. Dont blame others for YOUR bad decisions.

Hs anyone found a picture of his Piper Mirage that shows his tail number? There is a ton of information to be had if so...

If I remember correctly Mr Fenn stated ON TELEVISION that the clues were so easy his grandchildren could figure it out. That to me means STOP OVERTHINKING things.

This is my way of thinking of things WITHOUT overthinking.

Begin it where warm waters halt ( Where the Little Colorado and the Colorado Rivers meet. Little Colorado is 75 degrees in daytime and the Colorado is frigid)
And take it in the canyon down, (The Grand Canyon of course)
Not far, but too far to walk, ( approximately 40-50 miles as a bird flies)
Put in ( your boat) below the home of Brown ( the point at which Frank M Brown drown and his body was never found. Making it his permanent resting place or "home")

From there it’s no place for the meek, ( 25 mile rapids, 29 mile rapids, many people have died on these rapids. etc)
The end is ever drawing nigh; ( many people have died on these rapids)
There’ll be no paddle up your creek, ( once the rapids get ahold of you there is no way out, you cannot paddle upstream or out of the flow of water.You are at the mercy of the flow of the water good or bad.)
Just heavy loads and water high. ( white water)

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze, (N 36° 12.851 W 112° 03.615 (NAD 83) , RM2 for ANGEL The blaze and copper washer & nail. From Geocaching > Benchmark Hunting > Benchmark Details 3/4's of the way down the page.

Is this the Blaze he is talking about? Well If you have done your research the box weighs 40 lbs. He his the box and "walked back to his car" YES there are MANY Blazes but the Blaze that I speak of is within 1/8th OF A MILE OF A ROAD, 2 MILES OF A RESORT. He has stated, supposedly that "over 50 people have been within feet of it" Maybe thats because beyond the resort is a community that is spread quite widely that TAKES CARE OF THE RESORT. The Resort for vacationers is limited. The resort for WORKERS is VERY VERY LARGE. And in that land IS THE BLAZE at N 36° 12.851 W 112° 03.615, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RESORT. Land in which it is LEGAL to search.

Go on believeing I am wrong. You may not find it but give me 12 months I will.

If I remember correctly Mr Fenn stated ON TELEVISION that the clues were so easy his grandchildren could figure it out. That to me means STOP OVERTHINKING things.

This is my way of thinking of things WITHOUT overthinking.

Begin it where warm waters halt ( Where the Little Colorado and the Colorado Rivers meet. Little Colorado is 75 degrees in daytime and the Colorado is frigid)
And take it in the canyon down, (The Grand Canyon of course)
Not far, but too far to walk, ( approximately 40-50 miles as a bird flies)
Put in ( your boat) below the home of Brown ( the point at which Frank M Brown drown and his body was never found. Making it his permanent resting place or "home")

From there it’s no place for the meek, ( 25 mile rapids, 29 mile rapids, many people have died on these rapids. etc)
The end is ever drawing nigh; ( many people have died on these rapids)
There’ll be no paddle up your creek, ( once the rapids get ahold of you there is no way out, you cannot paddle upstream or out of the flow of water.You are at the mercy of the flow of the water good or bad.)
Just heavy loads and water high. ( white water)

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze, (N 36° 12.851 W 112° 03.615 (NAD 83) , RM2 for ANGEL The blaze and copper washer & nail. From Geocaching > Benchmark Hunting > Benchmark Details 3/4's of the way down the page.

Is this the Blaze he is talking about? Well If you have done your research the box weighs 40 lbs. He his the box and "walked back to his car" YES there are MANY Blazes but the Blaze that I speak of is within 1/8th OF A MILE OF A ROAD, 2 MILES OF A RESORT. He has stated, supposedly that "over 50 people have been within feet of it" Maybe thats because beyond the resort is a community that is spread quite widely that TAKES CARE OF THE RESORT. The Resort for vacationers is limited. The resort for WORKERS is VERY VERY LARGE. And in that land IS THE BLAZE at N 36° 12.851 W 112° 03.615, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RESORT. Land in which it is LEGAL to search.

Go on believeing I am wrong. You may not find it but give me 12 months I will.

So your logic seems sound...when do you plan on heading out for a search?

My post had nothing to do with safety at all. If someone doesn't take responsibility for themselves, they have no business even bothering to search. Take some time to learn about Forrest Fenn. Then you would understand my post.

so i am heading down to the santa fe area, probably another month away, going to make arrangements to spend at least a month down there. i have been doing research as well, and would love to hear some of your thoughts and ideas
james

so i am heading down to the santa fe area, probably another month away, going to make arrangements to spend at least a month down there. i have been doing research as well, and would love to hear some of your thoughts and ideas
james
Well James if we told you where it was it would spoil all the the fun for the rest of them, and just remember New Mexico is an open carry state, and don't get caught digging holes in forest :occasion14:

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold
..............cold water,in the snow ,ice, look only in the winter
If you are brave and in the wood
...............i think there was a book/movie,about brave in the wood

The hardest part about the Thrill of the Chase is knowing exactly where it is and not having the funds to get to it.... Hope to get there before the year is out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back