Detector(s) used
Whites classic III

barbarosa

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2004
Wichita Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I have read a few other stories over the yrs like the Golden hair .. I believe it was called .. Another local to me was found a book wrote then sold you hadto come within a few degrees long. lat , anyway both had been certified by a Firm of sort so u knew it was really out there. dunno if this was ?... Sounds goood though

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
I have read a few other stories over the yrs like the Golden hair .. I believe it was called .. Another local to me was found a book wrote then sold you hadto come within a few degrees long. lat , anyway both had been certified by a Firm of sort so u knew it was really out there. dunno if this was ?... Sounds goood though
Any treasure hunt sound good. I just happen to be withing 400 miles of the area in question, and am in the RARE, and I'm talking REAL RARE (maybe 3rd time in 57 yrs?) point of my life where I have both time AND money. Most times I have one, but not the other. So I'm going for it and, find it or not, I'm having a blast! Lifes about living and having fun. Finding the treasure, yea, it would be great, or maybe not. Either way, the thrill of the hunt is a feeling I wish I could have more often...............

Last edited:

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
I'm waiting to get my copy of the book. Just found out about this story the other day. I agree with you, very rare to have BOTH time and money...

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
And right now I seem to have neither. Just curious, any good clues pointing to Yellowstone? I would hate to have to deal with the National Park Service.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And right now I seem to have neither. Just curious, any good clues pointing to Yellowstone? I would hate to have to deal with the National Park Service.

Lots of people have made lots of the clues work for Yellowstone. Plus, Forrest basically grew up in the park. Its a highly likely locale in my relatively educated opinion.

WishIwasRich

Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark,
Still no word on Adam.. He said quite as the grave.. but why not post now. Why not join back in to enjoy the blog?

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Day 4
Greetings from the land of space cows! (You'll see a lot of these stickers around here)
1 cow.JPG
After yesterdays hikes, my lower back was pretty sore and I wanted to take it a little easy today. (yea, right). So I figured that I would check this place out.
(According to Emails from Random Guy) Fenn?s Buried Treasure Revealed, Will Steal Your Soul - Santa Fe - Live, Work, Play, Stay
Shows detailed discription of where this guy thinks it is.
So I'm driving all up and down 285 trying to find this little turn off. (I passed it twice). Getting frustrated, I remember something he said about a culveret/pipe/look for a cross.
So I'm checking every area where water could cross under the road.
2 wolf tits.JPG It's really sandy here, don't get stuck.
3 road to nowhere.JPG Here's an unlocked gated road with no markings just as you pull over to check "wolf tits". I wanted to take it, but it doesn't seem to follow any of the clues, so I didn't.
4 culvert.JPG 5 culvert.JPG 6 culvert.JPG
After playing in the sand for an hour, I finelly found it the place I'm looking for.:hello2:
7 this is it..JPG
Between mile markers 340 and 341 on 285. Nothing here, and you ain't getting in. So, see that house in the backround? That's my next target.
1693 B is the name of the road. REAL small sign. And you aint getting into this guys driveway unless it's unlocked or open, which it was neither. So I continue up this road to have a look see.
9 closest houst.JPG
I still dont see no cross.
10 culv.JPG 11 cul.JPG 12 bridge and pipe.JPG
Then I see this bridge with this pipe laying there, had to check it out.
14 pipe.JPG
Filled solid with concrete, but there's a pile of dirt behind it. Hmm, why not? So I grabbed the stick you see and cut a trench through the sand pile, just checking, ya know? Nothing but dirt.
So over the bridge and up to the end of the road. All private property. I turn back and see the lake that was in the google earth photo, verifying I am in the right place. (I knew I was).
15 lake.JPG
Look through the trees and you can see it. So I'm sitting on 1693B and 285, pondering my next move, when just right across the street is this ginormas (for around here) tree that has been zapped by lighting!!!
Can you say "Blaze? I gotta check it out.
16 tree.JPG 16a tree.JPG
Nothing near or around the tree, and unless FF used a ladder, it's not in the split. But there is a bunch of soft sandstone (more like freeze dried mud) surronding the area so I check it out too. Under a small ledge where it could have been, but wasn't, I left this note "NOT HERE".
17 not here.JPG
So with tears in my eyes again, I drive back to Tawas. On the way the line "Just heavy loads and water high" is banging my brain, remembering the "waterfall pipe" I saw yesterday, and how clues were starting to fit in that area when I remembered this place.
18 water high.JPG 19 gauge.JPG Can you say "Water High"? The clues are stacking up here. The hot springs, trout sign, boat dock, 2 different ways of looking at water high. I'm looking all over for a blaze/marker/SOMETHING!
Wondering if he used his initials FF, or 2 F's faceing each other, or back to back, or, or, AHHHHHHGGGG, drives me nuts. Wondering now if he put it in the water (Your effort will be worth the cold.) More research..............

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark,
Still no word on Adam.. He said quite as the grave.. but why not post now. Why not join back in to enjoy the blog?

He talked a lot smack. Bruised ego maybe.

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Day 5, my last chance.
Well, it was pretty much snuffed out with the wind. Really didn't have a plan. Spent 4 days mostly in the Rio Grand Gorge area and came up empty. So I'm trying another approach. Look for waterfalls. With caves.
Did some internetting and chose this place, Petrero Falls, a little north of El Rito. 557 to 44, turn right. Found what I thought was the parking area, least thats what G Earth says. The wind in the trees canceled out hearing any water, but that was OK, cause there wasn't any. Followed the creekbed up about a mile, saw some rock sides, but no place to stash a box. Never did find the falls.
So I 4 wheeled for awhile, talked to a couple hikers who knew neither FF of Patrero Falls and an art guy (named Art) who was "gathering supplies". Lives in Santa Fe, never heard of FF.
So on the way home I have to hit 285 again and pass the spot by the big burnt tree that someone posted a google earth pic of that I was at yesterday.
I found the culvert with the cross he was talking about. Just to the south of where I parked, a drainage pipe of sorts that has the shape of an eye, or a female body part, lol. Anyhow, it has some 2" pipe welded as a gate and its kinda looks like a cross, or a plus sign......
Nothing there. I'm done.

Well, it's been a great 5 day adventure. Had a blast and will be taking LOTS of good memories home with me (and a cool bike). Forrest Fenn, ya got me this time. Now it's time to go home, regroup, and do more research (like reading the book). I really thought it was in the Rio Grand Gorge , as a lot of clues were popping up, or so it seemed. Might have to try a different spot next time.

Learn from my experence if you can, but if your coming out, bring a flashlight, a topographical map, a good pair of boots and an open mind.
Good luck all and HAPPY HUNTING!

Last edited:
OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day 5, my last chance.
Well, it was pretty much snuffed out with the wind. Really didn't have a plan. Spent 4 days mostly in the Rio Grand Gorge area and came up empty. So I'm trying another approach. Look for waterfalls. With caves.
Did some internetting and chose this place, Petrero Falls, a little north of El Rito. 557 to 44, turn right. Found what I thought was the parking area, least thats what G Earth says. The wind in the trees canceled out hearing any water, but that was OK, cause there wasn't any. Followed the creekbed up about a mile, saw some rock sides, but no place to stash a box. Never did find the falls.
So I 4 wheeled for awhile, talked to a couple hikers who knew neither FF of Patrero Falls and an art guy (named Art) who was "gathering supplies". Lives in Santa Fe, never heard of FF.
So on the way home I have to hit 285 again and pass the spot by the big burnt tree that someone posted a google earth pic of that I was at yesterday.
I found the culvert with the cross he was talking about. Just to the south of where I parked, a drainage pipe of sorts that has the shape of an eye, or a female body part, lol. Anyhow, it has some 2" pipe welded as a gate and its kinda looks like a cross, or a plus sign......
Nothing there. I'm done.

Well, it's been a great 5 day adventure. Had a blast and will be taking LOTS of good memories home with me (and a cool bike). Forrest Fenn, ya got me this time. Now it's time to go home, regroup, and do more research (like reading the book). I really thought it was in the Rio Gorge Canyon, as a lot of clues were popping up, or so it seemed. Might have to try a different spot next time.

Learn from my experence if you can, but if your coming out, bring a flashlight, a topographical map, a good pair of boots and an open mind.

We really liked the Rio Gorge canto , too. An art guy named Art? HA!

warpigs777

Mar 2, 2013
albuquerque
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day 5, my last chance.
Nothing there. I'm done.

Well, it's been a great 5 day adventure. Had a blast and will be taking LOTS of good memories home with me (and a cool bike). Forrest Fenn, ya got me this time. Now it's time to go home, regroup, and do more research (like reading the book). I really thought it was in the Rio Gorge Canyon, as a lot of clues were popping up, or so it seemed. Might have to try a different spot next time.

Well I can thank you for the best advice anyone has shared with me so far....which was (no chimmichangas!!!!) Ruin my dam trip! or taco bell! HAHA Thanks Augusthog gl! :happy11:

Germanic

Apr 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He talked a lot smack. Bruised ego maybe.

Over at Dal's site, in the section called searching in Idaho and Utah.
Adam gives the whole story of his search, with his brother helping.
Unsuccesssful like everyone else.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day 5, my last chance.
Nothing there. I'm done.

Well, it's been a great 5 day adventure. Had a blast and will be taking LOTS of good memories home with me (and a cool bike). Forrest Fenn, ya got me this time. Now it's time to go home, regroup, and do more research (like reading the book). I really thought it was in the Rio Grand Gorge , as a lot of clues were popping up, or so it seemed. Might have to try a different spot next time.

I think maybe the falls are Niagara falls

Germanic

Apr 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a quote of Fenn somewhere, where he said when he wrote the poem he didn't expect people to have things like Google Earth. And I'm thinking as he was a pilot, he probably flew from santa Fe to YNP many times. Could the blaze be something visible from a few thousand feet in the air ? That could be why you have to be "wise" to find it.
I'm going to try "flying" from SF to YNP and watch the ground along the way.

dugit

Sep 1, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XLT / E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another idea; use the last words of the poem and start from the begaining.

Example:
There where the old bold wood halt,
walk down meek creek nigh high

IDAHO
Trail off of hwy 89 or 50 i can't remember.
google it, a lot fits in.

dugit

Sep 1, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XLT / E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure FF seen plenty heavy loads of logs in his time.
Did you google it yet?

Dugit:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over at Dal's site, in the section called searching in Idaho and Utah.
Adam gives the whole story of his search, with his brother helping.
Unsuccesssful like everyone else.

Ah thanks. Haven't been over Dal's way in a while.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a quote of Fenn somewhere, where he said when he wrote the poem he didn't expect people to have things like Google Earth. And I'm thinking as he was a pilot, he probably flew from santa Fe to YNP many times. Could the blaze be something visible from a few thousand feet in the air ? That could be why you have to be "wise" to find it.
I'm going to try "flying" from SF to YNP and watch the ground along the way.

I've actually wondered that same thing. He has said he would often fly low and follow the Santa fe trail to Kansas. Don't know why he wouldn't do the same up to YNP.

dugit

Sep 1, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XLT / E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good cold gold

GO SEEK THERE WHERE OLD BOLD WEAK BROWN WOOD HALT
WALK DOWN MEEK CREEK NIGH HIGH, GAZE BLAZE CEASE PEACE , GOOD COLD GOLD.

Walk down it at least 500 feet.

Dugit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread