OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If his bio is in the box, you would assume that it is out of the weather. And if you can walk up to it, it is likely in a cave or under an overhang. That should limit the amount of places at least.
Those are my initial thoughts...also I like the idea of being under a waterfall in a craggy area.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it being behind a waterfall unless there is an overhang/cave deep enough to keep the moisture under control. If you are planning for it lasting possibly hundreds of years, it will be impractical to attempt waterproofing to that degree. Even plastic/silicone/rubber will degrade over time.

Dry desert would be the most practical. Maybe hidden in the LDM or old Jesuit mine. Kind of a two-fer.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
it was looking good until today,and i found this, this is the 1st time ive read someone else knows where it is
IE: how are you going to get the bones there,and i dont want his bones, i dont know him what am i suppose
to do with his bones, there is always a monkey wrench thrown in,geezze im giving me to science, and if i
should find this treasure,im giving him to science too

A Real-Life Indiana Jones Wants You to Find His Loot
Aug 20, 2012 1:00 AM EDT
Forrest Fenn Wants You to Find His Treasure
Behind the adobe walls of his Santa Fe compound, inside the red, pantry-size steel vault that protects some of his most valuable pieces, Fenn says he opened an antique lockbox and began to fill it with more than a million dollars’ worth of treasure. He tossed in ancient figurines, a 17th-century Spanish ring, and turquoise beads excavated from a cliff dwelling near Mesa Verde. He added American eagle gold coins, gold nuggets, a vial of gold dust, two gold discs, and “a lot of jewelry,” including rubies, sapphires, and diamonds. Among these wonders he included a copy of his own autobiography, rolled and stuffed into an ancient olive jar. Then he went “into the mountains north of Santa Fe,” Fenn says, and hid the lockbox, to be found by anyone who can decipher the clues embedded in a 24-line poem that ends: “So hear me all and listen good,/Your effort will be worth the cold./If you are brave and in the wood/I give you title to the gold.”

But Fenn isn’t done. When the time comes he hopes to shove one more element in with the bounty: his own dead body. “When people find the treasure, they’ll find my bones,” he explains, with the sound of his native Texas in every syllable. “But my bio will be inside so at least they’ll know who I was.” A man who most certainly is not going to die in a hospital bed.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was looking good until today,and i found this, this is the 1st time ive read someone else knows where it is
IE: how are you going to get the bones there,and i dont want his bones, i dont know him what am i suppose
to do with his bones, there is always a monkey wrench thrown in,geezze im giving me to science, and if i

Behind the adobe walls of his Santa Fe compound, inside the red, pantry-size steel vault that protects some of his most valuable pieces, Fenn says he opened an antique lockbox and began to fill it with more than a million dollars’ worth of treasure. He tossed in ancient figurines, a 17th-century Spanish ring, and turquoise beads excavated from a cliff dwelling near Mesa Verde. He added American eagle gold coins, gold nuggets, a vial of gold dust, two gold discs, and “a lot of jewelry,” including rubies, sapphires, and diamonds. Among these wonders he included a copy of his own autobiography, rolled and stuffed into an ancient olive jar. Then he went “into the mountains north of Santa Fe,” Fenn says, and hid the lockbox, to be found by anyone who can decipher the clues embedded in a 24-line poem that ends: “So hear me all and listen good,/Your effort will be worth the cold./If you are brave and in the wood/I give you title to the gold.”

But Fenn isn’t done. When the time comes he hopes to shove one more element in with the bounty: his own dead body. “When people find the treasure, they’ll find my bones,” he explains, with the sound of his native Texas in every syllable. “But my bio will be inside so at least they’ll know who I was.” A man who most certainly is not going to die in a hospital bed.

Since Fenn has always taken the grave goods and left the bones, I would guess that he would expect for you to do the same.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
just thinking how in my case,the finding of the treasure and fenns bones,puts me in moral dilemma
or maybe a legality issue,i understand it is his wish to put his bones there
but for me if he didnt do it legally, ive broken a law or 2 im sure,by not reporting found bones
and if he did do it legally,very unlikely JMO,im left with taking the bones or leaving them,i dont like
either of those choices,would be nice if he left instructions,as what he really wants done about the
bones, thats providing he manages to get there and die or has them placed there
need to think about it more i guess, it just gives me a manipulated feeling

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm the Mark Dreyer on page five. :) The writer (Tony) got a few things wrong, but generally, it's close. Forest's original plan was to walk out and just die with the treasure. Then he kicked cancer.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the Mark Dreyer on page five. :) The writer (Tony) got a few things wrong, but generally, it's close. Forest's original plan was to walk out and just die with the treasure. Then he kicked cancer.
And i can verify that statement through emails with Tony. :) Sometimes people talk too much here. But the stars aligned that day. We got a call from Tony, went to Forrests house/museum. It was super cool.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::)

Are you allowed to quote yourself in a thread? 8-)

CW
You will likely be in a legal dilemma anyway as there are very few places where you would have ownership. If on federal/state land, any abandoned property would belong to the them. If on private, it would belong to the landowner.

The only place I can think of that it would be legal would be on a piece of property owned by Fenn as he has given permission for anyone to claim. Maybe be bought a burial plot or a small unposted property?

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::)

Are you allowed to quote yourself in a thread? 8-)

CW
You will likely be in a legal dilemma anyway as there are very few places where you would have ownership. If on federal/state land, any abandoned property would belong to the them. If on private, it would belong to the landowner.

The only place I can think of that it would be legal would be on a piece of property owned by Fenn as he has given permission for anyone to claim. Maybe be bought a burial plot or a small unposted property?
Sorry. Shameless promotion.:thumbsup: I don't know the legalities, but there's a difference of ownership based on "buried vs hidden". In NM, at least, if you uncover something buried on public land, it belongs to the State (or Fed). He makes it very clear it is NOT buried, for whatever it's worth. But he's also known to creep right up next to the edge of the law and is very astute when it comes to "legal technicalities".

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. Shameless promotion.:thumbsup: I don't know the legalities, but there's a difference of ownership based on "buried vs hidden". In NM, at least, if you uncover something buried on public land, it belongs to the State (or Fed). He makes it very clear it is NOT buried, for whatever it's worth. But he's also known to creep right up next to the edge of the law and is very astute when it comes to "legal technicalities".

Then that will narrow the search even more.

Whether it is buried or hidden, it is abandoned non the less and technically belongs to the state/feds. I still say he left it on private property, possibly under someone else's name. If you can find out the trustee of his estate, you could do a property search by county online.

I can't see anyone wanting to leave their bones on public property.

Last edited:

sprinkle

Nov 27, 2012
Any progress on the Fenn Treasure?

I've been reading that a few folk think yet are very close (or have already found it).

sprinkle

Nov 27, 2012
ousooner82 said:
Maybe by 9 clues, they are not in his statements, but a cypher hidden within the writing...

I question this simply because based on his general attitude, he seems like a pretty straightforward guy.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I question this simply because based on his general attitude, he seems like a pretty straightforward guy.
While not overly "direct", Forrest will tell you what he thinks. He will NOT lie, but he WILL require you to figure out exactly what he's saying.

sprinkle

Nov 27, 2012
themarkd said:
Through a source, I've heard that a person was within 500 feet. Now, that's pretty damn close, but depending on where all this person has searched, it still could be anywhere from Canada to Santa Fe. We've vowed not to tell the person because it could DESTROY someone's psyche.

Is this 'source' Forrest himself? I was under the impression that he was the only one who knew.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread