Fort Malden / CHief Tecumseh / Indian Confederate army treasure

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some local stories that have a fair amount of facts surrounding a large treasure sent to Fort Malden in Amherstburg to finance a Native American Confederate army to fight against the Americans for the capture of Michigan. Summary: 3 treasure chests of silver/gold coins from the British monarchy. brought to Fort Amherst and lost in the battle that claimed the fort. I'll post more later once I get more time as there is a lot of information to sort thru and I don't want to write a long story. There is one of the chests in the fort on display now but... it almost seems to be sarcastically noted or comically labeled Tecumseh's treasure. But I am curious if anyone else knows about it. As it was a fairly locally known story 30-40 years ago and seemingly not well known today. I have had a lot of time to collect information.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well semi long version… without my notes.... so I'm working off memory... Basically an Admiral North (or General) went to the English Monarchy with the plan to create a Confederate Indian army from the British loyal tribes in Ontario using Chief Tecumseh to lead them as he was key to uniting them. He was given three chests of gold and silver coins. ( some accounts have it 2 silver, 1 gold) it was sailed across the ocean on a ship ( I don't have the name on the top of my head) but the treasure made it's way to Fort Malden. There is documents on North and the treasure, and if you look hard enough there are solder journals that talk about traveling from Fort (can't remember) to Malden with the treasure. William Cadweld and Chief Tecumseh plus a few others were involved in receiving the treasure. But before they were able to assemble the tribes and put the plan in action the American forces (led by Marsh??) got wind of it and Pushed hard on a hail-marry maneuver to attack and disrupt and possibly steal the treasure

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The American forces were able to get word to another division and the two divisions met and crossed lake erie to attack the Fort. The forces landed south of the old town of AMherstburg in the shallow bluffs of the swamps. they attacked and partially damaged Cadweld's cabin that was lookout for the passage around the south tip of Bobblo Island. (there are insurance claims against the monarchy to reimburse Cadweld his losses in the attack) which he used to rebuild the cabin. ( A bunker of supplies was discovered not too long ago just north of the bluffs about 1/4mile) Plus there is documents to factually back this up

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where the story gets thin.... the first version... Version #1: The British realizing that they were vastly out numbered fled with the treasure. But they were caught with their pants down. Tecumseh was in Sandwich, they had no time so they sent out a small attachment of soldiers to burry the treasure to ensure it was not captured. Location #a : they buried in town under or within the grounds of one of the public buildings...(the Anglican church, or first thistle lodge) Location #b was that they buried in the bank of a swamp near the Rope walk (land burm fortifications) the soldiers were killed in the attack before they could report the location. Location #c was that they buried the treasure at the old Shawnee grave yard so that even if they lost the lands that Tecumseh's people could return and secretly remove the treasure. BUt they were eventually killed in the retreat.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all versions have the British forces setting fire to the fort and town to aid in there escape. (so it must have been close chase)

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Version #2 has them splitting up the treasure. and burying it in already listed locations.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Version #3 has a little bit of a twist... Cadweld, Tecumseh and Brock?? all took one chest. to work quickly to spend the money to get build resources. (not sure how quickly or how one would use the money) Brock buried his box in the fort as it was set afire and would not be easily found, Cadweld hid his in town and fled, Tecumseh had his in Sandwich with him and used his head start to bring the treasure with him. but it was slow going and by the time they all met up they were caught in battle. Tecumseh buried his treasure along his path as he was fleeing.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually not the end of the story as Cadweld returned to Amherstburg. And it is believed that he collected one or more of the treasures and used it to finance the repairs to Amherstburg.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather all the treasure was used or if it was all found is unknown. however there is a iron box in Fort Malden that is labeled Tecumseh's treasure box... not sure if its really a treasure box or just a cargo box. but a lot of this happened and a lot of the treasure story logically links things together.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So BIG Treasure story.... thoughts??? WHat does this mean to a guy with a metal detector? ...not much! most of the major lands involved are historic sites. but it is a fun story. However there is a lot that is not historic? I know where everything is. the rope lines defences are still visible and have farms and houses on them. The parts that are in town would be disturbed with little value however the parts that are out of town are still undisturbed and part is even under excavation for a subdivision now. many of the original buildings escaped destruction and are still around. Many are privately owned. (probably all disturbed soils but possibly not) the bluffs and battle fields are still mostly open lands, crown lands or farm fields. Any interests?

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you post a photo of the box on display? The treasure was supposed to be given to the Indians.
If I were you I would hit every place I could get permission just cause of relics and coins.
Is there any documentation? Are there any other cases where something like this happened?
Are there any caves in the area?
I think most legends have a kernel of truth.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tecumseh box.png tecumseh box.png

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a screen capture from a video that quickly passes it. I can get better pics later

Attachments

• tecumseh box.png
    tecumseh box.png
    239 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the Bluffs where the Americans landed is private land and I know the owner of the land. I could start there. The march to town is about 3 miles of privately owned houses. There is one house that ones a large lot of land with a historic house. it has a tiny wooded area that has never been developed. I know who the owners are and how to contact them. I know the owners of the swamps behind the 3 miles of land that has never been touched. Next to the historic house is an open farm field that I do not know who owns it but it is small and next to it is a historic marker designating the location of another historic house with significance. the house fell down when I was a kid and only the stone foundation was left until about 6 years ago when someone built a new house on top of it. Next is an old parking lot and more fields all relatively undisturbed. the parking lot was the old Boblo ticket booth and I'd love to go there for my first time out. the booth was a small hut but it was there for 100 years. and there was a historic house just past it that they tore down.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the area has so much potential with the wars, underground railroad end, even al Capone and the purple gang owned a lot of the houses in the area for bootlegging. the Island of Boblo is open to the public and I know where most of the buildings where (I was a security guard and ride operator there as a kid) and the open end of the island has never been touched. many of the little islands held hideouts for the runrunners and one of the islands had a WWII military runway on it and some service buildings. there were 3 old hulls of planes over there that rotted into the earth. I was told what they were as a kid but can not remember. (My grandfather played on them as a youth.) also the Sand Bar point has had hundreds of ship wreaks over the years as it jets out several hundred feet off shore and moves all the time. Ship ran a ground all the time as they would line up for straight entry into the Detroit river.

OP
OP
L

longtimedad

Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone done any detecting in Southwest Ontario and had any problems? the only reason I ask is I'm the guy who "if 100 guys pulled out of a parking lot with a broken headlight on there car. The cop would pick me to pull over and ticket..)

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have your war facts mixed up. The war that was financed by Europe and supplied by Canada was the war of 1812. Chief Tecumseh's brother forecast the sign for the Gathering of the Indian Nations. (Known by the Native Americans as "The Whistling Rock" https://www.spitzinc.com/blog/great-comet-of-1811-1812/ )
This made the Indians believe it was the right time to retake the Indian lands claimed by the United States.
https://biography.yourdictionary.com/tecumseh
Chief Tecumseh died in 1813 so was not around for the Civil War.

At the end of the war Governor of Virginia (Mason) adopted a little Indian girl found in northwestern Ohio. Later she and her step brother were chased out of Virginia for getting married. (family fact)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread