Fossil Collecting in the US

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mainly metal detect but I have two small children that are just not ready for that yet so I thought I would take them fossil hunting. I've done Big Brook in NJ and they seem to like it so I was wondering. Where else in the US do they have good sites to go fossil hunting that are open to the general public? Close to NJ would be best but I would be curious to hear of other locations across the country. I will actually be in NC next month for a week.

Thanks everyone

NJ

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
I mainly metal detect but I have two small children that are just not ready for that yet so I thought I would take them fossil hunting. I've done Big Brook in NJ and they seem to like it so I was wondering. Where else in the US do they have good sites to go fossil hunting that are open to the general public? Close to NJ would be best but I would be curious to hear of other locations across the country. I will actually be in NC next month for a week.

Thanks everyone

NJ

That's a 'great hobby' for the children, I take my Grandchildren over into Ar. to hunt abandoned strip pits for fossil wood & leaves, but sadly they are all being reclaimed to grow pine trees.

Fossis.........

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
There is an area where you can collect giant ammonites, some the size of a spare car tire. It is in Texas, on the south side of lake texoma, a lake on the Texas/Oklahoma border. The area is owned by the Eisenhower state park and permission is given freely. The only stipulation is that in the event that a new and unusual fossil is found that they would like to have a look at it before you take it home. I live not far from there and have pulled out a couple myself with my children.

Kinda far from NJ, but if you ever find yourself in the area stop by and check it out.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of places to collect along the east coast. There is a book called Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States: With Localities, Collecting Tips, and Illustrations of More than 450 Fossil Specimens by Jasper Burns which lists locales with directions for many spots. The following site lists sites by state but i'mnot sure how up to date it is.

http://members.fortunecity.com/michaelp2/fossil1.html

Hope this helps!

P.S. There are some nice little streams in the vicinity of Holmdel NJ that are good spots to look for shark teeth. Collected there 25+ years ago.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
zerojinx said:
There is an area where you can collect giant ammonites, some the size of a spare car tire. It is in Texas, on the south side of lake texoma, a lake on the Texas/Oklahoma border. The area is owned by the Eisenhower state park and permission is given freely. The only stipulation is that in the event that a new and unusual fossil is found that they would like to have a look at it before you take it home. I live not far from there and have pulled out a couple myself with my children.

Kinda far from NJ, but if you ever find yourself in the area stop by and check it out.

It is far but sounds really cool...you never know. Thanks

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SnakemanBill said:
Lots of places to collect along the east coast. There is a book called Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States: With Localities, Collecting Tips, and Illustrations of More than 450 Fossil Specimens by Jasper Burns which lists locales with directions for many spots. The following site lists sites by state but i'mnot sure how up to date it is.

http://members.fortunecity.com/michaelp2/fossil1.html

Hope this helps!

P.S. There are some nice little streams in the vicinity of Holmdel NJ that are good spots to look for shark teeth. Collected there 25+ years ago.

I'll have to check out that book...Thanks.

I live about 20 minutes from Homdel and the main stream is Big Brook. I've hit it twice with the kids and it is just full of shark teeth and other small fossils. Just looking to try other new sites with some different fossils types.

NJ

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n.j.ther, if you ever get this way in il. i can take you to an area in the mazon where fossils are abundant.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
marinedad said:
n.j.ther, if you ever get this way in il. i can take you to an area in the mazon where fossils are abundant.

Thanks for the offer.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread