What's new

Fossil help!

Twitch

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
2,359
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Took the 8 year old fishing yesterday out to Tybee Is. GA. Didn't catch anything, found a couple fossil shark teeth, some neat shells and then these two pieces I'm not sure what they are. The first one I'm pretty sure it's a fossil but not sure what type. For some reason it looks like it's from an Alligator or something. The 2nd one I think is a fossil but I'm a little less sure. At first I thought it was a fish part but now I don't know. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1091.webp
    IMG_1091.webp
    418.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1093.webp
    IMG_1093.webp
    458.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1094.webp
    IMG_1094.webp
    401 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1095.webp
    IMG_1095.webp
    481.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1096.webp
    IMG_1096.webp
    426.8 KB · Views: 109
The 2nd & 3rd pic looks like a part of catfish skull like I see lying around here at my lake.
Could very well be wrong, but just guessing from my first thoughts...
 
1st: It could very well be a gar skullcap or as Outdoorfunblond suggested it also could be a catfish skullcap.
(No catfish that I know of in the fossil record)
My taxonomy skills are not very well tuned.

2nd: Portion of a turtle shell, underside of carapace around one of the legs.

Fun to get out with the kids especially if they are inquisitive enough to find things and bring them to you and say:
Daddy what's this ????

Jess B
 
Last edited:
In Florida, there are at least four species of freshwater catfish (Fam. ICTALURIDAE) found as fossils, along with four sea catfish (Fam. ARIIDAE). Common finds from catfish are the pectoral spines.

I didn't think that catfish skulls survived as fossils, but garfish skull parts might.
The turtle fossil appears to be part of a plastron at the bridge between plastron and carapace.
 
In Florida, there are at least four species of freshwater catfish (Fam. ICTALURIDAE) found as fossils, along with four sea catfish (Fam. ARIIDAE). Common finds from catfish are the pectoral spines.

I didn't think that catfish skulls survived as fossils, but garfish skull parts might.
The turtle fossil appears to be part of a plastron at the bridge between plastron and carapace.



Harry, you the MAN:notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom