What's new

Fossil hunting in Dallas, Tx

Echostatic

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
38
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dallas, Tx
Primary Interest:
Other
This was my second time going out ever. I didn't find any shark teeth or anything awesome like that, but I was pretty pleased with the results!

Looking through shale in a creek, and in the gravel washed out by recent rains, I found some nice stuff. First, three shells completely removed from the rock, and one strange piece of... Something.

57D956FF-A6E3-4ECB-9B76-3FF8E9573465_zps0flzxzcx.jpg


That piece is strange. It is very heavy. It does not react to a magnet, and check out the other side.

133167A1-B762-4686-8DBD-396B7739A04E_zps762lhsfd.jpg


It has some sort of shiny flecks of... Metal? It's very pretty.

I think I found two shells stuck to each other here.

0B5C0BFB-ECBA-4EAC-A860-0688406E3D1A_zpshyq4rrxc.jpg


Lots of fossilized shells here.

19650BB4-8F39-4D5E-AA10-A9D391F4B226_zpsb6mlq2jh.jpg


I'm not sure, but I think these are pieces of petrified wood.

BF8D758F-51F8-4FD4-A21B-02E421246082_zpstg11t2z3.jpg


D3198A10-B696-477A-8EA4-9DF7FDFC262D_zpsl8ysj5al.jpg


Finally, with the light almost gone, I began to make my way out. But, I saw something peeking out from under a rock. I managed to break away the shale around it, and this gorgeous imprint popped right out!

B79C10AF-64E0-4E26-9ADF-FCC029CCCD30_zpsqe0zee7h.jpg


That was a really nice way to end the day.
 
Upvote 8
Nice start to your collection.:thumbsup:
 
Not sure on your first item, but I see some fossil bi-valve shells (clam) in your 3rd and 4th photos. And that last photo of the fossil mussel is really nice one. :icon_thumright:
 
great_find.gif
Great finds! Thanks for sharing...
 
On closer inspection, I believe the rock in the first and second image is shale, it has a thin, crumbly crystal layer running through it that I have seen in the shale walls of the creek before. The metallic flecks are, I believe, pyrite.
 
Blobbly looking thing: it's a coprolite (petrified turd) from a robot tyrannosaurus from 250 million yrs ago!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom