What's new

Fossil???

makton

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
404
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
I found this on the beaches of Lake Superior in the UP.
Is this a fossil and if so, anyone know what kind?

Thanks,
Makton
 

Attachments

  • fossil.webp
    fossil.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 261
Wow, 33 views and I would have thought someone could identify by now or at least say if they think it's a fossil.
Does anyone know of another site where I could possibly get an id from?

Thanks,
Makton
 
It is almost certainly a cross-section of a Paleozoic marine fossil. It doesn't appear to be a section of ammonoid, nor do I recognize it as a section of crinoid stem.

Perhaps if you removed the matrix from the other side, the identity would be clear. Or, maybe you could post images of other parts of your stone.
 
Harry, Thanks for the response. I'll take and post more pics later. Should I try to remove it from the host rock? Makton
 
makton said:
Harry, Thanks for the response. I'll take and post more pics later. Should I try to remove it from the host rock? Makton
I don't think it would be cost-effective to remove matrix. Try the other views.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom