Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found 1853 seated Liberty half dime today. Broke 1800's 2 times this week

Today started off good as the rain headed east and the sun came out. I had to hunt at a place that I have hunted several times this summer because I couldn't hunt the 1836 homested as the realtor had to show the place so I stayed away. The other place is 500 yards away (lucky Me) so I headed over there. I have pulled some early 1900 wheaties from here so I know the place is close to 100 years old at least. I started out with my ace 250 in the coin mode set at half sensitivity as I am still fairly new at this so I am not using full sensitivity yet for the deeper stuff as I still don't have the sounds down good. I had scanned the front yard thouroughly on previous hunts so I decided to move up and try the all metal mode with the sensitivity at max and then notched out all of the trash. I now had only pennies and up. I was able to pick up a few Wheaties, a key, a brass candle holder (age???), a brass star, an old shotgun shell and a 22 short casing. I decided to head out into the side yard as this had not been hunted to thoroughly. After about 1 hour I was passing around a tree when I picked up a dime/Pennie reading that was showing 6 inches. Don't laugh at the size of my plug as I am not yet good with this larger coil on pinpointing. So I started to dig, probe, and recheck as the hole grew bigger. After a cubic yard of dirt removed I was able to put the coil inside the hole. A little more digging then the pinpointer. Finally a buzz. I started to carefully removing the dirt to see what I had found. Then I saw a little shinny edge. I thought, pull top. As I removed it and rubbed the dirt there it was. A little bitty half dime. Now I am new at this and don't know a whole lot about coins but when I saw the date and what it was my heart was racing. (I'm on blood pressure medication) So I know that didn't help. I almost did a happy dance all by myself. This place is out in the country and really quiet . I love hunting in this kind of environment as it is good therapy for me. I have no idea on value as I won't sell any of my findings (unless a million dollar find) ;D The guy next to this place where I had a few generatio of family believes that there was an older place where this house is standing. Hope you enjoy the pics as I can be very thorough somtimes. Ron Smith

P.S. Thats me at the Ontario California truck stop back in March.Now you can a what a crazyjarhead looks like (USMC Retired)

Picture403.jpg

Picture407.jpg

Picture410.jpg

Picture411.jpg

Picture408.jpg

Picture409.jpg

Picture417.jpg

Picture417.jpg
Picture413.jpg

Picture414.jpg

Picture415.jpg

Picture402.jpg

Picture404.jpg

Picture405.jpg

Picture416.jpg

Picture029-1.jpg

Upvote 0
Re: Found 1853 seated Liberty half dime today. Broke 1800's 2 times this week

toolman61 said:
u should take a weedeater and get around the house and esp. the porch alot of coins under that porch i bet . great finds and alot more to find i'd say. good luck and HH, tom

I'd like to but I will have to ask the owner. I never thought of that as I did not want to disturb her property. She seems to be a nice lady, but I'll have to think on that on. I tried to get as close as I could without getting into poison ivy.

That is what I call a nice days hunting.
I like the seated very much.
Keep it up.

What a great site..congrats on the seated, hope you find more oldies out there!

Nat

congrats on a grate find
Ive found many old coins and even spanish silver, however ive set to dig a seated coin. its def on my wish list. great job

P.s. dont worry about the hole
thats how you dont scratch a nice coin lol

Thanks Natman, Ugotti, Radarwill

A delicious little find! Congrats on a beautiful coin!

Congrats on the 1/2 dime! That is a fantastic find, and in great shape also! Very good hunt indeed. I enjoyed all the pictures.

Thanks halfdime, dirtdobber, and billyC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back