crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't find them metal detecting but found them on eBay. A detecting friend of mine has assigned me the task of finding the old roadside parks (before rest areas and interstates) He had a map showing the close locations but the 1955 map has all of the locations but the 1940 map did not ???. Roadside parks took of in the 1920's when the government realized that motorists had no place to sleep, eat Etc. It wasn't uncommon in those days for motorists to knock on doors of farmers and other people to ask for water, bathrooms, etc. So thus started the roadside parks.This is fun because it opens the opportunity of more places to hunt. I know where 2 are. One is still operational, although nobody ever uses them any more. I think it has a historic marker there, so my son tells me. The one near my house is now a farmers field. I'll be doing more detection work on these and update you on any progress. Once my camera battery is charged, I'll take some pics Thanks for reading, Ron

Pics added below. Hope you enjoy. Note the absence of the interstates. The cities in Ohio were much smaller than now. The map on the right is 1940. The one on the left is 1955.No by-passes, no road rage, no back-ups ::) Also, the poulation of Cleveland Ohio was 914,000. The official census estimate for 1954 for the state of Ohio 7.9 million people.2006 it was estimated to be 11.4 million ..................... I'm sorry. The one map is 1940, not 1930. I got it mixed up with something else.

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

011.jpg

Upvote 0

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Great eBay finds!!!

I even noticed my town on the pic of the "Cincinnati" area... right down on US 27 into KY... ALEXANDRIA!!!!

Good luck with your research and hunting and keep us posted!!!

billohio6248

Apr 20, 2008
Cumming Georgia
Ron

I remember the signs in the 60's called them roadside rests and they had a couple picnic tables and a walking area. I just moved to Atlanta from Columbus, Ohio and would have loved to find a few of them. Good luck!

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks bill. I think you will have to change your name from billohio to billgeorgia :D Thanks for looking

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I'm glad I got the ball rolling on this. I could have looked for some of my various old State maps and let you borrow them, but it's good to have old maps yourself. If you look on your map, you'll probably see one in Blanchester, OH east of Cinci. I know of a Walking Liberty half and some other nice silver coming from there. A while back on TreasureNet, someone was detecting an abandoned road side park up around Troy or Piqua I think, and he did really well. Good luck, I hope you are successful.
Thanks, Steve

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I picked up one these maps but have not had a chance to check it yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread