Found 40 quarters, 2 one dollar coins and 5 dimes in 4 hours at a rural country school

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found 40 quarters, 2 one dollar coins and 5 dimes in 4 hours at a rural country school, 7 miles from the closest town/city. Picture is what they look like uncleaned. I am cleaning/tumbling them right now, and will show you the results later today ........Thanks for looking.......Bill
P2260354 (2).JPG
P2260356 (2).JPG
P2260357 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 25

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul !!
I don't know if you ever tried this, but years ago I learned/read that putting a teaspoon or so of "Cream of Tartar" in your tumbler was good
for cleaning clad coins. I used to add some Dawn along with a fish tank gravel & water. Seemed to work good for me for me. Anyone else ever do this ?

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a lot of Quarter's and a lot of digging - well done !

I collect all the coins I find - even the newer ones.
I put one of each of the State and National Park Quarters, etc. in the Harris Coin folders.
Found 86 of the 100 State Quarters so far - only missing 14 of the States with Denver mint marks.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul !!
I don't know if you ever tried this, but years ago I learned/read that putting a teaspoon or so of "Cream of Tartar" in your tumbler was good
for cleaning clad coins. I used to add some Dawn along with a fish tank gravel & water. Seemed to work good for me for me. Anyone else ever do this ?
I also Tumble the clad Nickels, Dimes and Quarters I find with a little Dish Detergent & Lemon Juice.
If I don't need the coin for my collection - it's off to a Coinstar machine.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad you posted that "E-Trac-Ohio ". I'm rethinking it & now I think that the Cream of Tartar thing was specific to cleaning nickels. My memory is getting fuzzier with age. Clad coins just need to look half way descent for respending, coinstar or coin rolls.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul !!
I used the Dawn and aquarium gravel for many years and it works great!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions