What's new

Found a button

BrandonR

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Messages
29
Reaction score
39
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went metal detecting again yesterday at Hickory Run State park which was a logging community in the 1800's. We found an assortment of objects like a file and other contraptions. But I found this button which made the detector go off but it is not magnetic and doesn't look like metal. Any ideas of what kind of button or the time which it is from? I tried googling some information but couldn't find any.

20161103_160121.webp20161103_160134.webp
 
Upvote 2
It made the detector go off...it must be metal.
Given it has holes, and not a shank, I'd say as a rough guestimate it is newer than 1830.

Apparently guestimate is not a word...according to my spell checker...I beg to differ.
 
Cool button. Buttons are always nice finds.
 
color indicates thin brass
 
look alot better with all the dirt cleaned off
need to hit that spot hard next trip
 
First question, are you sure that's what set the detector off & this isn't an eyes only dig?
 
Use a file and see what color the true metal is. It should give you a better clue. It looks old, I would keep hunting there. Happy Hunting!
 
...Apparently guestimate is not a word...according to my spell checker...I beg to differ.
metal_detector.gif
You were close! :laughing7: guess·ti·mate - an estimate based on a mixture of guesswork and calculation.
 
What Crusader said could be right
 
Its a button, and I like it.
 
Yes, I used the pinpointer as well and this made the pinpointer go off too. I also always check my hole with the detector again after.
 
Yes, I used the pinpointer as well and this made the pinpointer go off too. I also always check my hole with the detector again after.

Only asked because it looks like no other material I've ever seen. Thought it was rubberized or mix ceramic. I have no clue on the alloy but the design is 20th C looking.
 
Nice find! Keep working the area.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom