What's new

Found a Civil War camp site!

Jacobsdt

Full Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
229
Reaction score
805
Golden Thread
0
Location
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me and my friend were out in the woods doing some detecting and we came across a ring of rocks that looked like they had been that way for a long time. A large camp fire. We proceeded to do some detailed detecting and we came out with a lot of buttons, bullets, and other artifacts.

Ny1.webp Ny3.webp. New York coat button.

Ny2.webp Ny4.webp. New York cuff button.

Mystery.webp Mystery2.webp Anyone know what this one is??? From the hooks on the back I would guess it was hooked into leather.

Ny5.webp. Another New York cuff button. It was punched in at some point.

20151220_144818_edited.webp. 20151220_144901_edited.webp. This I believe is a ladies broach? It has a spot on the back for a hook of some sort.

20151220_145405_edited.webp. 20151220_150649_edited.webp. I had to di deep for this one, 10 to 12 inches. tried to post a pic of the hole, but the site kept giving me an error. :BangHead: I tried cleaning it as best I could, it started falling apart on me.

20151221_144335_edited.webp Eagle I, a little rough.

20151220_081719_edited.webp. 20151220_091613_edited.webp. 20151220_081704_edited.webp


20151221_145600_edited.webp Thanks for looking, HH. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 32
Grid the area off and hit it hard my friend. Virgin camps are hard to come by nowadays, and almost always worth the effort to dig every single signal.
 
That's a fantastic site! Great finds. Hunt that area hard. Congrats![emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut
 
Need a hunting partner? I'd go! Man, great job and how fortunate for you man. Love to find brass and personal items. I would believe that oval brass was a breastplate to a cartridge box sling. That's a dang nice find, if that's what it is. Post it in "What Is It?" and the experts will tell you a lot!
 
Congratulations and thanks for posting. I agree with everyone else, hunt that area hard. Oh yeah, by the way, don't tell ANYONE the location of your new site.
 
Need a hunting partner? I'd go! Man, great job and how fortunate for you man. Love to find brass and personal items. I would believe that oval brass was a breastplate to a cartridge box sling. That's a dang nice find, if that's what it is. Post it in "What Is It?" and the experts will tell you a lot!

Def not a breast plate, it is far too small. I thought it was as well until I saw a pic with it next to a bullet. It is an ornate leather decorative/strap weight. It is earlier then the CW and could have been lost seperatebor carried on a homeowner haversack (the later being my theory). Nice stuff, dig out the hole inside the rocks!!
 
Those buttons turned out beautiful! How did you go about cleaning them?
 
Nice finds looks like you found a good spot
 
Those buttons turned out beautiful! How did you go about cleaning them?

I cleaned them with a q tip with Ammonia. Works good when the button still has gilt left on them. Thanks.
 
The oval brass item with the 4 pins is off a horse blinker. (Heavy horse)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom