mxt

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
bcs123 said:
new to treasure hunting and need some help i found a 1926 standing liberty quarter the mint mark is gone but there is an "M"in the bottom right next to the date anyone know what it means??? also what would be a good way to clean it? ill post a pic when i get my camera back

If you want to keep the coin for yourself it doesn't matter how you clean it. But for coin collectors it's recommended that you don't use anything but a bit of soap and water to get the attached dirt off, and don't scrub or polish it at all. The value drops significantly if you do.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bcs:
Welcome to the world of treasure hunting. Ask all the Q.s you wish right here; someone will most likely have your answer.
The "M" on your '26 standing liberty type quarter represents the coin's designor, Herman A. MacNeil.
Don.....

Upvote 0
C

Charles Miller

And don't use acid. In days gone by, I collected coins for myself (not to sell), and I used ketchup to clean them. The acid in ketchup is pretty corrosive and can turn an old coin bright in about 24 hours --- you just submerge the coin in a dollop of ketchup and leave it. When the coins were bright, I rinsed them, oiled them and placed them in my display. Many years later, I gave the collection to my nephew. Eventually, he tried to sell them and was disappointed to find out that my acid treatment was unacceptable to "real" collectors. Well, I told him not to try to sell them.

Still, ketchup is not as bad as treating coins with mercury. That was my older brother's technique. Brilliant coins in a matter of seconds, just shuffling them around in a dish of mercury. Unfortunately, this method is so abrasive that it can literally polish the relief right off of the coin's face.

:-\

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bcs:
Actually, his first name is Hermon, not Herman.

Here's some more:

In 1966, New York Mayor, John V. Lindsay, signed his first local law, which renamed Chisholm Park (aka College Point Shore Front Partk) for Hermon Atkins MacNeil (1866-1947), a College Point resident and nationally renowned sculptor. At the ceremony, standing besides the mayor was a College Point neighbor who had posed for MacNeil’s sculptures. Doris Doscher Baum served as the model for the artist’s most widely seen work: the Standing Liberty quarter, which was first minted in 1916.

MacNeil’s sculptures can be seen in four of the five boroughs in New York City, including Washington as Commander-in-Chief at the base of the Washington Square Arch in Manhattan; a cast of his Sun Vow in the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn; the Flushing War Memorial in Queens; and four busts in the Hall of Fame of Great Americans at Bronx Community College. His other notable works include the figures on the eastern pediment of the Supreme Court Building in Washington D.C. and Out From Chaos Came the Dawn, which earned him the honor of being the first American to receive the Prix de Rome.

Don.......

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mighty AP:

Thanks for the kind words.
I find the questions challenging; they can stimulate interest leading to research and reward by locating the answer and putting the answer back on the thread; a Win-Win situation, certainly for me and perhaps shared by others.
Don..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bcs123

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
heres a pic of my coin

Attachments