Found a flowing hair largie...

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 with optional 6" coil, Whites MX Sport w/Garrett Z Link, Killer B's Stinger headphones, Predator Tools 85BC, Whites TRX pinpointer, Anaconda NX5 digger, Whites Digmaster hand digger,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, a buddy and I took a ride to scope out a permission that had an old spring house on it. I took the CTX to see if I could drop a coil and possibly come up with something that may give me an idea what kind of history we were looking at as the owner knew the area had history but to what extent that was a mystery.

Well, popped a few plugs and garbage. Did find what I believe may be an old lantern part but too lazy atm to look further.

So he said last plug, make it count.

Well, I got a hit.

Popped the plug and found a flowing hair large cent. It is pretty cooked but I know these were produced from 1793 to 1794.

...wish it was a chain cent lol.

Regardless I made that plug count.

20201124_151001.jpg
20201124_172809.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 30

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find- Congrats!! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 with optional 6" coil, Whites MX Sport w/Garrett Z Link, Killer B's Stinger headphones, Predator Tools 85BC, Whites TRX pinpointer, Anaconda NX5 digger, Whites Digmaster hand digger,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks folks, I was stoked. It was cruddy when I pulled it. Knew it was a largie but Flowing Hair didn't cross my mind.

My buddy couldn't believe it lol.

Oldest US coin I've ever found to date.

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Large Cent find and just enough detail to get a date range! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I got lucky. I called "I got a largie" when I popped the plug and my buddy wasn't convinced when he looked at it.

A tooth pick and some gentle cleaning gave me enough to id.

Some of these are smoked when they come out of the ground.

Gonna get serious in the morning and get on that site.

Hopefully I have some goodies to post here a bit later.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you say so, it looks very much like a Draped Bust to me at least from the minimal details left. The forehead is much more slanted back on the FH.

OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is why "I say so."

There is nothing on a draped bust protruding from the back of Lady Liberty's head that is this wide.

But the bow on a flowing hair is.

As far as the slant maybe it is because of the angle in which I am holding the coin?

Also a the bottom of a draped is more uniform and rounded as compared to a fowing hair has a slight "s" pattern not to mention on a draped the edge of the bust would be much closer to the rim edge of the coin.

I also had a coin dealer here look at it who has been in business for 50yrs & is a close friend.

I'm pointing out what he pointed out to me. He said if it was a draped the base of the bust outline would be noticeably wider even if the detail was gone.

...may I make a suggestion?
If you think someone is wrong in their assessment of a find don't start your rebuttal with "if you say so."

You come off quite snide when you do.

Happy hunting.

20201127_191339.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-195147_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-195826_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20201127-192516_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201127-195209_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201127-195209_Gallery.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The picture you are showing is called a Liberty Cap cent as far as I know (as opposed to a Flowing Hair cent). I said "if you say so" as a bit of light humor b/c on a copper with so much environmental damage different people see different things--please don't presume to tell me how to post. From your first uncleaned field pic (the clearest one) the profile on the bust (literally), the neck, and the chin looks decidedly like a draped bust. It *may* be a Liberty Cap, but is certainly not a Flowing Hair cent.

OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well don't start your response sounding so condescending and I won't call you on it.

...I think PCGS knows better than you.
And I will take the word of of someone who had the coin in their hand and 50yrs experience dealing in coins over someone who toots their horn on a forum and says "hey here I am, look at me."

I like the forum but if you think I am someone who will simply just fall back in line when someone like yourself acts like a smarta$$ directed at me you should probably back of the bat guana.

You seem like a troll honestly.

SmartSelect_20201127-224449_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I come here, post finds, and ask questions on the forums if I don't know.

I don't disrespect anyone for my humor.

I never have.
...you came off condescending from the 1st words of your post.

I've been walking this planet 44yrs and don't bother anyone. If you had a rebuttal to what this coin may be you could have done so without starting off in a condescending manner.

Thats not a good ice breaker nor is it a good way to initially engage in a discussion.

I don't know you.

We are not friends, nor are we hunting buddies. After I say something to you about it then it becomes a joke.

Was it really a joke or did it become a joke when I didn't laugh?

It sure didn't come off that way.

Be well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol.

The funny thing is your input only has relevance in the eyes of the individual offering it.

You.

But as they say... ignorance is bliss.
...you must be happier that a pig in...

You can figure out the rest.

Maybe.

If I am a fool you have the intellectual acuity of a radish.

In pace requiescat

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread