Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
ckrakowski said:
sorry for my ignorance but what is the key date?

A key date is a rare date or a valuable date (usually both, but sometimes lower mintage may be saved more in better grades)

OP
OP
S

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
ckrakowski said:
sorry for my ignorance but what is the key date?
1955 is the lowest mintage of Roosevelts the S mint had a total of 18,510,000

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
A key date is a rare date or a valuable date (usually both, but sometimes lower mintage may be saved more in better grades)

i know that but what i was asking is which of the ones you listed are the key dates.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, there really aren't any "key date" Roosevelts, just lower mintage Roosevelts.

At the last coin show I went to, I overheard a conversation where someone was looking for a specific Roosevelt to complete the set (I forget which one) and the dealer said something similar to the following, "All Roosevelts just go in my junk silver bag as there aren't any key dates worth keeping separate."

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
GMan00001 said:
Technically, there really aren't any "key date" Roosevelts, just lower mintage Roosevelts.

At the last coin show I went to, I overheard a conversation where someone was looking for a specific Roosevelt to complete the set (I forget which one) and the dealer said something similar to the following, "All Roosevelts just go in my junk silver bag as there aren't any key dates worth keeping separate."
I agree Gman, I disassembled my 3 Whitman 1946-64 Roosevelt folders and put all the dimes into "junk silver" status in the SDB.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfulladirt said:
GMan00001 said:

I agree Gman, I disassembled my 3 Whitman 1946-64 Roosevelt folders and put all the dimes into "junk silver" status in the SDB.

I guess the dimes would be sort of key dates for the series, but not key dates as what they are normally considered.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The 1949-S has the most value for an uncirculated date in the series. I don't get the reasoning behind it. A look at my red book was that even circulated one have a slight edge over melt value too compared to other dates. The 1955 has the lowest mintage but I recall years ago when I bought some uncirculated individual dates, the values were still much lower than that of the 1949-S.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
All three 1955 dimes (philly, denver and SF) were low mintage. However at the time many uncirculated examples were put aside by collectors. Less so than 1949S.

I have a collection of FDR dimes 1946-Present because my kids and I enjoy coin collecting. It is true that circulated CuNI dimes are worth face value and silver dimes are worth bullion. If money was our only concern I would introduce a new hobby to my kids, telemarking.

They could pay for their cellphones in no time!!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roosevelt dimes really have no key date as stated above but I always keep in mind this. There is no melt ban on silver Roosevelt dimes and in 15 years, how many of those
dimes will still be around for collectors to pickup.... :dontknow:

I have a complete set, 1946 through current with proofs and silver proofs included. I am thinking once all those dimes get melted down because they are so plentiful, you
might have some numismatic value to them. Just playin a hunch or Gibbs rule #1 - Always trust your gut. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread