Found A Killer Fish Hook

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to one of my favorite sites today and surface hunted for about 2 hours. It was really hot and muggy, but finding the Bone Fish Hook, the Bone Needle, and a nice array of decent points made it all worth while. This is the first complete Fish Hook I have ever found and it was laying out completely exposed. When I first saw it I thought for sure it was a piece of a plant curled into a "J" until I reached out and touched it and felt it was was hard. I wish I would have had my camera with me, but I left in such a hurry this morning that I forgot it, so no in situs.

First picture is the days haul, including a decent Adena Point and a few nice Triangle Points, the Fish Hook, the Bone Needle, a piece of cut and worked Deer Antler, and a Groundhog Tooth.

The next pictures are closeups of the Fish Hook and the Bone Needle. The Needle is broke through the hole, but is still very nice. Very highly polished, and since it's curved, I believe it's made from a rib bone. For size, the Fish Hook is almost exactly one inch long.

Attachments

• FishHook02.jpg
    FishHook02.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 544
  • FishHook03.jpg
    FishHook03.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 543
  • FishHook04.jpg
    FishHook04.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 559
  • FishHook06.jpg
    FishHook06.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 539
  • FishHook07.jpg
    FishHook07.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! very cool! How did they bend the bone to make a hook? I'm putting a hook on my search list haha

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Airborne80 said:
Wow! very cool! How did they bend the bone to make a hook? I'm putting a hook on my search list haha
You can boil some bones and bend them while they are still hot.
Once they cool they will hold the shape of the bend.
this is a method used for inlay and marquetry in fancy wood surfaces like guitar tops.

Same with wood, steam it and it will becom rubbery
once cool and dry it holds the shape it is bent to.

Thom

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just-geese said:
Super Steve...Goldcamp?
Don

No Don, unfortunately they haven't touched Goldcamp yet and it doesn't look like they will. I was told by a guy that works with the farmers who plant Goldcamp that if they do plant it this year they are either going to just run a small disc through it and plant it or they may just not turn it at all and drill soybeans into it. It sucks that we've had all of this rain and Goldcamp wasn't done because I'm sure it would have been a goldmine up there.

These pieces all came from a site where they have been digging for a while out by UPS in Clay Township.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Steve, well done.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 460
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 458

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Very, very nice finds...I hate you. I love bone tools and unfortunately live in an area that doesn't have them in any great quantity or quality.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
WTG DF,Man I,ve always wanted to find one of those.That is indeed a rare find.Ive bent over so many times for them little white roots exposed.I knew a guy when I was a kid who used to own a truckstop in Wheelersburg.He had found several.I don,t have one yet.

Jeff

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys and gals. I went back this site the other day and found a nice Bone Bead, two Triangle Points, and a really nice Pottery handle off of a large Pot.

Not much, but better than a poke in the eye. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions