What's new

Found a LARGE shell cartridge and need ID

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
1,263
Reaction score
685
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday ,and it measures 33.75 mm wide and 5 1/2 inches in length it has a full lip on the top .
 

Attachments

  • catrdige shell 4-1-10 farm2.webp
    catrdige shell 4-1-10 farm2.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 858
  • cartridge casing 4-11-10 farm.webp
    cartridge casing 4-11-10 farm.webp
    11 KB · Views: 804
  • catrdige shell 4-1-10 farm2.webp
    catrdige shell 4-1-10 farm2.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 759
37 mm was a small close range anti tank tank gun and low flying anti aircraft type round size during WW2 .
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
37 mm was a small close range anti tank tank gun and low flying anti aircraft type round size during WW2 .
Yep. I have one I use as a pen holder on my desk. Mine is marked AMLOT 1075-11, 37mm Gun, Model of 1916 & PEM Co. Mine dates to WW1
 
Upvote 0
There use to be an 8 guage shotgun and I think it used brass cases. I've only seen a few, but it should have the mfg. stamped on the bottom of the rim and I can see this one don't. Possibly a flare gun cartridge? Monty
 
Upvote 0
33.67 mm is 2 gauge. Very flares were 37 mm and 25.4 mm until they went to 12 guage (18.53 mm). 8 Gauge is 21.21 mm.
 
Upvote 0
Are there any markings on it? I cant tell by the pic. Could it be one of these old cannon shells?
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,285600.0.html

I think if you PM cannoncollector, he will know.

Gauge - Diameter Inch - Diamter mm
A - 2.0000" - 50.800mm
1.5 - 1.4588" - 37.054mm
2 - 1.3254" - 33.665mm
3 - 1.1579" 29.409mm
4 - 1.0520" 26.720mm
8 - 0.8350" 21.208mm
10 - 0.7751" 19.688mm
12 - 0.7294" 18.527mm
13 - 0.7102" 18.039mm
14 - 0.6929" 17.599mm
16 - 0.6627" 16.833mm
20 - 0.6152" 15.626mm
24 - 0.5789" 14.705mm
28 - 0.5499" 13.968mm
32 - 0.5260" 13.360mm
67.56636 - 0.4100" - 10.414mm
 
Upvote 0
Seems like we're back to the same discussion we had last time a shell like this was found. :read2:
As before there is always a chance its a cartridge for a "Coffman Aircraft Starter".....or for an industrial application "Kiln Clinker Gun", used to dislodge slag and build up inside a coal fired boiler. Salute Cannon
cartridge...?

TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
My Model 1916 brass 37mm casing measures about exactly the same as your as far as diameter but is 3 1/2" long. I have also had some military surplus aircraft parachute flares that were 37mm and alot longer with an alumnum casing. Those were intended to be fired through a hole in the aircraft and were used on WWII bombers. I suspect what you have is some kind of casing from a 37mm flare cartridge. There were many different types & lengths. I have seen brass, aluminum & even plastic cases.
 
Upvote 0
The casing itself , appears to be copper so it might have been brass plated as for the markings on the head stamp it shows as follows " N N Y or two sideways Z's and a Y then it has a small anchor stamped on it and the the letters R.P.E and that is all that is stamped on the head of it . Thanks for all your help .It was found on a farm that dates back to early 1800's , burried at 12 inches in the ground 30 feet from the house .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom