What's new

Found a Lead Belt Plate...333rd What?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
5,249
Reaction score
1,102
Golden Thread
1
Location
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug this today in an old field. Any ideas? It was mixed in with pewter flatware fragments and some old buttons.
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    47 KB · Views: 847
Interesting find...I would be excited if I found that! What's the back look like?
 
Upvote 0
I'd say it's just an old tag of some sort. Would make my heart skip a beat though seeing it in the dirt.
 
Upvote 0
Yep...I agree with tag. You can see the remnants of the nail holes in the corners.
 
Upvote 0
what was the address at one time --maybe 333 ? whatever street.
 
Upvote 0
First... note that the numbers are an antique European-style of number writing, not American-style numbers.

Second... note that although all of the numbers are a "3", they are not the same size as each other.

Therefore, apparently, the numbers on the plate you dug here in the US were cut into the plate "by hand" with an engraving tool, and done by a European immigrant to the US, probably during the 1700s/early-1800s.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
First... note that the numbers are an antique European-style of number writing, not American-style numbers.

Second... note that although all of the numbers are a "3", they are not the same size as each other.

Therefore, apparently, the numbers on the plate you dug here in the US were cut into the plate "by hand" with an engraving tool, and done by a European immigrant to the US, probably during the 1700s/early-1800s.

That was my thought as well. But just out of curiosity I typed in the address on the road to see what would happen. The field just north of the red "A" is where I found it. Guess what the address for "A" comes up as in Google? #333!!! Coincidence? Probably. They did not issue street numbers until the 1960's in this area.
 

Attachments

  • 333.webp
    333.webp
    112 KB · Views: 716
Upvote 0
hey neal,
they had numbers earlier then that i bet,check out the sanborn fire insurance maps of your area.
heck even a littl rinkydink town i lived and born in had them back in the early 1850. so maybe that was the old house number.
h.h.
oldtimer
 
Upvote 0
...so maybe that was the old house number. nope. it just means you are halfway to he--. (666) LOL. I'd hang onto it... it might be a 'get out of He--' card. neat find whatever it is.
 
Upvote 0
some folks say I'm fairly good at this stuff. ;D :wink:
 
Upvote 0
nothing at least not to my face :wink: :icon_thumright: :D
 
Upvote 0
My lucky numbers are 3's. And there are 3 of them there. Just like 11/11/11 coming up soon, add the 3 elevens together and that is how many years I am married this year. So 3's have always been good for me........NGE
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom