What's new

Found a new type

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well believe it or not I have gone on 2 hunts in the last week and have just about been skunked on both trips. I use to be happy with finding a broken piece but now I consider it a skunk day. I try not to bring anything home unless it is frame worthy. I was hoping to have more than this to post but this is it. Its a new type of pottery I have been told. It feels like stone its so heavy a lot different from the normal pieces I have ever found. I almost didnt even pick it up but lucky for me I saw the designs on the 1 side. Its red in color so it stood out and I decided to bend over for a closer look. Not sure the date of it but I have been told its called Grit Pottery, rock
 

Attachments

  • SDC12221.webp
    SDC12221.webp
    751.6 KB · Views: 176
  • SDC12224.webp
    SDC12224.webp
    576.8 KB · Views: 137
  • SDC12225.webp
    SDC12225.webp
    322.5 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
Like I said on the other site, I think it's some really thick Grit Tempered Pottery. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me from just looking at your pictures. In hand may be different.
 
Like I said on the other site, I think it's some really thick Grit Tempered Pottery. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me from just looking at your pictures. In hand may be different.

Could be its my 1st type like it. Its going in my pottery frame either way.
 
Sorry to be so late posting but been real busy. I love it and yes pottery, I think I have a piece or two similar. It's an awesome find and hoping you will find more like it.
 
I would say sand tempered, early Woodland period.
 
If its sand what is the lighter pieces I usually find made from then?

The color of the ceramic vessel is mostly determined by the temperature by which the material is fired and how much oxidation occurs. Clay color plays a big roll but temper plays a much smaller role. Controlling and maintaining constant temperature is the key and separates the men from the boys so to speak.
 
I have a handful of that heavy thick pottery. Never thought of it having a name or type.

Good recovery on your part.
 
Looks like typical to some of our Tennessee pottery from red clay with shell temper or limestone temper. I have buckets for comparison.
i also have simulated that exact pottery and fired it. I f you wish like examples let me know
HH Rock
 
Last edited:
I have no doubt its pottery now I guess I was the only 1 that thought stone bowl but if you never find something and then find a piece its better to ask to be sure. I will be on the lookout for that type for now on, thanks for all the info.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom