Found a RECORD silver dime "Cache"!!!!!!!!

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
Re: Found a RECORD silver dime "Cache"!!!!!!!!

I am a new coin hunter, just getting started since june of this year. No great finds yet, but a couple of nice pieces, includeing a couple of rings. I was interested in metal detecting for more than 10 years, in hind site, should have started then. At times since I started I have sometimes held little hope of finding good items/coins as have been told many times, the hunters that started years ago, got all the good stuff. But thanks to you, it is evident, that good finds are still there.

Along that line, since starting detecting this summer, I have spent a lot of time cultivateing leads, info, and help from old timers, local history, and some of my own historical knowledge I have from my interest in history since high school. So, now I do have a number of leads to pursue, but sorry to say at this point, it wont be till spring, as weather (winter) in this part of country halts the hunting till warmer weather. One lead I have, and it is just that, a "lead", is of a native american that supposidly buried some silver dollars or gold coins( ??? ) along a railroad bed behind his cabin. So, I am not holding my breath, its just one of the things that keeps novices like me hopeing to find something. The lead is from several people that shared the same info........., so who knows for sure???

I have generated many leads, and permission from many people to hunt property. I have hunted many places this summer. I think I have done well compared to some here, but not as well as some I have read about in other areas. I think success comes from a combination of persistance, and locale. Perhaps I am speaking to the choir here. I do have to say, that this is the most rewarding hobby I have been involved in.

One more thing. If there is any readers here from S Minn near Marshall or Iona, contact me here. When I was in 6th grade there, I did some garden work there for an ederly lady, and found some very early coins in her garden. One was some kind of half, with stars around the edge. It is so long ago, the details are faint now. But as I will never go that way soon, I will gladly share more info so someone can hunt there for possibility of more.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats alot of Silver!

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II

Totally wicked find! I hope that you get the write up in one of the Mag's. Too bad about the dozing of the property, but I would still give it a go. Especially if the dirt is still piled up. The operator wouldn't have noticed something like that if he scraped it up.

I have family in KY that claim my grandfather hoarded away silver and such, but being a whole country away, I haven't got to check it yet!

Very Jealous
vegasmtl

its2bornot2b

Jan 19, 2009

wow, xXx, thats a great find man!! congrats! let me know if u want to sell any of those!! ;D

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What a great find. That doesn't happen everyday.

potsie

Mar 16, 2008
Northeast, ALberta
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar, White's Bullseye II

WOW!! Excellent find. Hope it is the first of many for you.

Potsie

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWSOME............ what an awesome find. this kind of find certainly validates why we love this hobby. :thumbsup:

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional

THAT'S INCREDIBLE!! GREAT FIND!!
Well, I guess I'll think twice now before I walk away from a blaring sound. I hope the ones that I did walk away from were just soda cans like I thought they were.
THANKS FOR SHARING!
John

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW. Great find. Someone must have been hiding them for who knows what reason :icon_sunny:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations:hello2:

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to criticism of great finds I had planned not to post this find from yesterday. But, I am so excited about it I have to show you.
So, yesterday evening, I decited to spend an hour or so detecting at an old abandoned house that I had gotten permission to hunt a long time ago. It was an open invitation to hunt at any time.
I'm poking around with a nice haul of clad from the grass driveway and I worked around to the back where I had never hunted before.
I'm in what looked to be an old garden when I got an Overload hit on my MXT. I pretty much dig everything anyway, and being an odd place for a large piece of aluminum siding or something I decited to dig it. I had about given up on it thinking I had a hot rock or something when I hit metal at about 8". I thought it was just junk at first. After I saw it was an old metal box, like a kids lunch box, I started to get excited. It was pretty rusty.
As it came out it was extremely heavy, letting me know there is something in it. I quickly opened it up to find a dirty towel. Inside the towel was 1,084 SILVER DIMES!!!! That's $108.40 FACE VALUE!!!! The oldest one is 1916 and they go all the way up to 1964 but stop there. It was as if someone knew that the silver was going to be of value and buried them for later.
I spent all last night seperating them by date. Funny, and curious, thing is that there is a bunch of each year except for 1955 which there were none at all. I can't figure that out. Any ideas?
xXx
well this post is very old but i'm new to TN any way!, but i want to agree with a replay saying that the 1955 could b the birth date of who ever hide that cache or the house might be built in 1955, or all the 1955'S will be buried some where else inside or outside the property.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One can only hope to pull a cache like that in ones life time! Congrats! Just melt value is like $5000!!!

Weborigination

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, here's a crazy question from a newbie... Do you share these types of finds with the property owner? Or, does getting permission allow you to keep your finds?

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only congratulations here!!! Way to go!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread