What's new

Found A Rudge Bicycle - 75 year

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
4,476
Reaction score
12,338
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting truck blew its transmission a few months back and I was unable to use it. Good news is I finally managed to get it fixed and now I'm back on the road hunting the streets for treasure.

Tonight I scored this really cool old bike - a 3-speed Rudge, someone threw it in the trash. It is very old and has a unique breaking system that uses rods instead of cables. Never seen anything like it. My research shows it was made in England likely in the 1930's-1940's. The 'Rudge Whitworth Cycles' company, as it was called, competed with the Raleigh Bicycle company from 1894 until Raleigh bought out Rudge in 1943. In 1938 long distance cyclist Billie Fleming used a three-speed Rudge to set the world record for the longest distance ever covered by a bicycle in a year - 29,603.7 miles - a record that still stands to this day.

Overall the bike is in great condition, I was going to ride it but when I went to put air in the tires I realized I couldn't because the bike's valves are incompatible with my air pump. Will have to find an adapter or something. Besides that it can use some paint, but I think I'll leave it just the way it is for now.

20160825_170136.webp20160825_170143.webp
Notice the break lines are made of solid metal rods, not cables, very cool.
20160825_170207.webp20160825_170215.webp
 
Upvote 12
Head Badge is looking good.

Paint, not really right? You will kill the value. I would tear it all down and provide some very over due cleaning and servicing but not paint it. Sure if you have a steady hand then with a very fine brush trace detail that head badge but nothing more than that.

Cool find man, not every day someone finds a few hundred bucks laying around.
 
Great find. I would also leave the bike as is, except for servicing it. Original condition is everything when it comes to value.
 
call Mike from American Pickers---he LOVES old bikes
 
Very cool find.
 
Congratualtions on the very nice bike recovery! IMHO, do not repaint the bike. A good cleaning, oil where necessary and enjoy the beauty of the find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom