Found a rusty knife

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I’m new to restoring thing. Found a rusty knife today and winks love to get it cleaned up. Is electrolysis my only real option? IMG_3446.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soak it in Apple Cider Vinegar for 48-hours and turn it twice.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACV is a simpler way of cleaning old iron....while I use that method on some iron artifacts, I prefer electrolysis. On your knife, ACV should clean it up enough, seeing it is not in a concretion of rust. Post a pic of the after cleaning.

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACV is a simpler way of cleaning old iron....while I use that method on some iron artifacts, I prefer electrolysis. On your knife, ACV should clean it up enough, seeing it is not in a concretion of rust. Post a pic of the after cleaning.

I rushed out and got some ACV right away. It’s soaking now. Will update with pics. Will it do anything to the wood?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about the wood:dontknow: but you may change the ACV out with fresh after several days....the solution will get rank as it works.

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Updated photos after about 48 hours in the slop.

IMG_3475.jpg IMG_3476.jpg

russian_bot

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2019
GA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That black crust will come right off. You can polish the blade with a pumice wheel on a Dremel or lots of grades of sandpaper. The handle is stacked leather. You can order a kit of leather discs and spacers from K-Bar to restore the handle. It looks intimidating but it's not that hard. If you want the handle black use black leather dye and top it off with black shoe polish or beeswax.

EDIT: The Ka-Bar leather handle kit is only $7.00

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find should be easy to clean

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That black crust will come right off. You can polish the blade with a pumice wheel on a Dremel or lots of grades of sandpaper. The handle is stacked leather. You can order a kit of leather discs and spacers from K-Bar to restore the handle. It looks intimidating but it's not that hard. If you want the handle black use black leather dye and top it off with black shoe polish or beeswax.

EDIT: The Ka-Bar leather handle kit is only $7.00

The knife in question appears to be a Western. Westerns have aluminum pommels double pinned on to a split tang. KA-BAR leather rings which are made for a center rat tail tang will not work on a Western. It is also almost impossible to get a Western pommel off when corroded. Also the KA-BAR kit spacers are for a MK2 knife and are much thicker in diameter than the handle of the Western in question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread