found a wreck(i think)

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
While detecting on the banks of cape fear at low tide I noticed an old rotten timber just barely sticking from the sand and mud. Walked to it and started getting hits all over . I didn't have much time so i only dug the shallow targets. Found two gold rings, abrass tag, two parts of a buckle of some sort. I also pulled a copper spike about three inches long from the timber. i wonder if this is an old wreck or an old peir or dock. I plan on going back in two weeks and taking a shovel to dig the deeper targets. Im having trouble posting pics but ill try to get them on here soon (need my wife to help)

treasurebum1

Jan 12, 2005
flora ms.
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gti2500 whites vision
I THINK I WOULD GET BACK AS SOON AS I COULD SOUNDS LIKE GREAT POSSIBILITY'S

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Adding pic to go with story.

Attachments

• river stuff.jpg
    river stuff.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 666
C

Charles,Oak Island

I would suggest you be very very careful. wrecks in state waters including the beaches (high water line) are protected. If the folks at FT Fisher find out it will cost you dearly.

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
I was just wondering what state you are in. I'm In North Carolina and the Cape Fear runs through here. I had never thought of detecting there.

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
OH! Yea I see, I'm pretty sure its an old dock. I think, Yea it is, its an old dock. Anyway its a little north of Southport N.C. kinda close to Orton Plantation. Anyway , Maby I should stay away. Thanks Charles (hehe)

C

Charles,Oak Island

Lot of good stuff near Brunswick Town.
I got a lot of intersting items from the water in front of Ft Johnson. Civil War porjectiles, bottles back to 1750, clay pipes, some coins.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Ilovetodig, do you live near the Cape Fear River ? If so there are lots of place from Erwin to Southport to search.

F

Floater

Nice finds RKin, Cape Fear is full of folklore and reality of wrecks. I am just starting to read some books on the Carolinas and the ships lost there.
Charles I,m curious you said

"I would suggest you be very very careful. wrecks in state waters including the beaches (high water line) are protected. If the folks at FT Fisher find out it will cost you dearly."

From what i have read on Admiralty laws they state that the low tide mark is where the water begins and this appears to be the description given to Patent's in the Florida Coastal regions. Is this a State Park area you refer to or is this Private.
Anyways go for it and HH. Check with your local officials first.
Floater

C

Copper

RKinOI said:
Adding pic to go with story.

Old dock?....oh yes. When you start coming up with roundish pieces of black thin metal that have distinct crosses on one side, well, them be fishing sinkers matey ;)

Attachments

• fishingsinkers.jpg
    fishingsinkers.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 555
T

treaser hunta

RKinOI said:
? ? ? OH! Yea I see, I'm pretty sure its an old dock. I think, Yea it is, its an old dock. Anyway its a little north of Southport N.C. kinda close to Orton Plantation. Anyway , Maby I should stay away. Thanks Charles (hehe)

Just don't tell anybody and you wont get in trouble.Also don't show important people the stuff you find. What trouble can you get in if you keep it hush hush?

D

dmchose

I suggest that you ask Mary Strickland at the Maritime Mus. there in Southport, to give you a hand in locating a probable dock in the area your searching. If I recall, I grew up on that river ;-) ,that could be a old dock supporting the Quarantine station.The station was in the middle of the river. a part is still visable.It also may be part of a supply dock for a turpentine town just north of the Ferry.If you talk to Mary, just tell her that you are trying to identify sumthin. She is well versed with folks of all grades including her wayword son, who swings meters and dives to this day.She is there most Tue. Thur Sat. Best time around 10ish am.
Should you except this, please note that my post destructs in ten...nine.. eight...

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Sorry I couldn't figure out how to get back here until now. I live in Fayetteville and the Cape Fear runs straight through. I thought about looking around but wasn't sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread