found along the highway

j.n.

Dec 31, 2007
phoenix az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this site and decided to post to it.

In 33+ years working on Interstate and secondary roadways I have found by eyeball many things and learned something about human nature.

I think you would be surprised at the folding money lost out of car windows.... People have a habit of buying cigarettes and putting their change in the pack then when finished forget and throw away the pack....the same can be said about buying beer, putting the change in the store bag then when all was consumed throwing the empties, the bag and the change out the window. (I once found such a throw away and the change from a twenty along with an empty six-pack)....one coworker found a pistole in a holster....I once found an almost full box or 357 magnum rounds....rings, watches have been found....a lot of billfolds and purses (when there was enough identification I would put the remains in an envelope along with a cover letter explaining where and when the items were found and then mail to the address found)....there was one mesquite tree that was known as the penny tree where after a heavy rain you could pick up some pennies....clothes, shoes, towels, toys, dirty diapers, packrat dens as money has been found there (found the upper plate of a set of false teeth, this was from a rats nest in a mine shack), and many other things.

In the realm of second hand information it was rumored that gold Krugerrands were found scattered along the roadway in one area of Interstate 10. It does pay to keep your eyes open and see what is laying on top of the ground.

J.N.

DOGMAN ( U.K )

Oct 26, 2009
Devon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I remember when I worked in Scotland for Securicor many years ago. Coin bags in the hatch ready to be offloaded were often split, and when the vehicle went over a bump, the hatch would jump up a fraction and the loose coins would fall spill out onto the road. lol :laughing9:

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
I find cash all the time too. I found a $100. bill one day just walking into a business seems someone opened their wallet and it could have slipped past the owner and landed on the floor against the wall. One day I was leaving a truck stop and saw a paper bank sleeve on the ground I always check any envelope I see and inside was 3 $100.00 bills I said thank you lord and went to work.
The best was my brother he found a wallet with almost $9k in it he gave it to my dad and he located the owner he wanted to give my dad all the money in the wallet but was finally talked down to $100. and my dad kept the money we were very young then. The man had just returned from offshore and was on payphone and forgot the wallet on the ice machine next time my brother saw the man he had a chain on his wallet.
This year I found a mans wallet and it had a lot of cash in it but just located his id and called him he met me and gave me $10. I gave the money to my little girl to show her it pays to do the right thing.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a road out by me that over the years has been good to me,one year I made $350 from it,$200 of it was in a small purse with 2 $100 bills in it and a neat Zippo lighter,another time I found about 3 pickle jars full of coins and game tokens,it also supplies with aluminum cans all year long. :headbang: :hello2:

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
I worked on I ten for a spell and we could mine the interstates if we ever needed a supply of lead and alumunium the side of the road is full of it since the cans are struck by the mowers and mulched into the grass only to sink into the soil. I tried to md when we got breaks and the road side is too junky.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at an auction in Columbus Ohio; it was at the Defense Construction Supply Depot on West Broad st. This would have been around 1990. I was in a hurry the auctioneer was a lady that was new to it. She was too slow I raised my paddle to bid on some “oxidizers” didn’t even know what they were…just wanted to hurry the bidding along I had raised the paddle after she said 1 dollar, it went up she said sold…just to wake everyone up I guess…well, I went and picked the stuff up or at least most of it…some of it was small green cans of some kind of stuff that would kill any living thing…mad to kill biological warfare stuff…I left it there. The other things were a 35 gallon drum with a bag of swimming pool chlorine in it (gave it away) and a 40 pound paper drum with a never opened bag of Silver Nitrate in it…long story short…I sold the stuff back to the original manufacturer for $4,600! That was a real treasure find. Several months later a friend and I bought 4 overhead cranes for $1,100 and sold them a few weeks later for $7,000, again treasure is where you find it.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Good stories!

I've gotta buddy up in Carolina that owns about a half mile frontage on a WELL traveled state road out in the middle of nowhere...Every now & then, he puts out a sign at one end or the other about "Traffic Stop & DUI Check Ahead". The next morning he goes out & collects all the beers, half-full whisky bottles, bags of MJ, & illegal firearms! ;D

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
BARGuy said:
Good stories!

I've gotta buddy up in Carolina that owns about a half mile frontage on a WELL traveled state road out in the middle of nowhere...Every now & then, he puts out a sign at one end or the other about "Traffic Stop & DUI Check Ahead". The next morning he goes out & collects all the beers, half-full whisky bottles, bags of MJ, & illegal firearms! ;D
Wow that is a great way to stay in your favorite vice. Bet he has quite a collection of firearms? Bet he could keep a full bar too. It amazes me how i g n o r a n t the average criminal is. I have been on the interstate MO or AR and seen signs like that and it was prior to an exit that had no reason for being there it went nowhere but the local police seemed to find a way to generate revenue by placing the sign out there and the paranoid literate drivers would exit the interstate and the popo were there to see why you exited. It is like the people that stop on the interstate to pee it is illegal to stop on the interstate just stopping gives them probable cause to check you out and usually the folks that stop are drinking alcohol & doing other things..

Burnt Chimney

Nov 14, 2008
Hornet Nest North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT F-75 AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BARGuy said:
Good stories!

Thats the great idea :laughing7: I check a spot just past a rough Rail crossing it is always good for a socket wrench or screw driver and hub caps.

trapper

Mar 22, 2009
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500and Garret SeaHunter MarkII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once while I was out riding my 4 wheeler picking up aluminum cans from the roadside ditch I found 2- $1 bills and a $5 dollar bill at the end of the drive into the resort/trailer park we lived in at the time, thought that was great continued down the road for 4 miles and found a folded $100 dollar bill (thought it was a gag bill until I unfolded it and held it up to reveal the anti-counterfit thread in it, not bad $107 in cash and $40 in aluminum cans. \
Trapper

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only thing I ever found was solid ground for my car jack..

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find money in parking lots once in a while. Pays to look down a little more frequently.

greg23

May 16, 2008
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Back when I was around 17-18,I was walking home from school and i picked up a pull ticket off the road.It had three bars on it!!!I went to the convience store and got $100 bucks.always keep your eyes to the road

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.n. said:
Saw this site and decided to post to it.

In 33+ years working on Interstate and secondary roadways I have found by eyeball many things and learned something about human nature.

In the realm of second hand information it was rumored that gold Krugerrands were found scattered along the roadway in one area of Interstate 10. It does pay to keep your eyes open and see what is laying on top of the ground.

J.N.

I'd stopped at a road side park to do some metal detecting. As I was going around a large tree with a double trunk, I just ran my detector up the split of the two trunks. I got a hit and the sound of the Minelab Explorer giving a warble sound....

I walked around to the back of the tree and in the split, and under some dried leaves and dirt were three one dollar bills and various coins. The top dollar bill was faded, but in good condition. Never thought about money being put in a public park's tree, but I'm three dollars plus, richer... ;>)

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread