What's new

Found an old axe head any ideas on date?

Historyhunter79

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 27, 2018
Messages
4
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old axe head buried by a spring on our farm. The poll of it has a seam, it’s different than others I have seen. Does anyone have any idea how old it could be? The farm has been worked since about 1795.
 

Attachments

  • 3A574F56-C3D3-47D3-96C8-A2F42CFC9E7B.webp
    3A574F56-C3D3-47D3-96C8-A2F42CFC9E7B.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 144
  • F393E9A0-4469-4EB7-BB6A-0BB91B041387.webp
    F393E9A0-4469-4EB7-BB6A-0BB91B041387.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
  • 294E1DA1-CB03-471F-9944-F23841212DF9.webp
    294E1DA1-CB03-471F-9944-F23841212DF9.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Historyhunter79! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...
metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting for a member(s) to pipe in - I pulled these from other TN threads...

United States Department of Agriculture
A Practical Ax Manual Brief History of the Ax. Here are a few pictures - a bunch more on the website


Axe Head (Mar 18, 2010)


Hammer (Better Pics) (Feb 20, 2008)
​
 
Upvote 0
Thank you! I guess I skipped all the details because I was excited to find out about the ax head! I will add those soon. Thanks also for the info. I should weigh it and see how heavy it is. I found the way it was made kind of strange as the poll has a seam running down it. I looked all over trying to find one like that but couldn’t. The link you sent mentioned 17th century axes were made from two pieces of metal that were hammer welded down the poll. I don’t think it would be that old but wonder if some local blacksmith still made them that way later on. I don’t have much knowledge of axes so I thought someone on here might.
 
Upvote 0
THAT LOOKS OLDE TO ME , NICE FIND AND WELCOME
 
Upvote 0
Looks like many I have found at sites that date from 1800 to early 1900s
 
Upvote 0
Thank you for the info. Are the backs usually split down the middle like that on the ones you have found?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom