Found artillery shell in woods behind house?

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
I finally got a chance to do some searching in the wooded area behind my house. Lots of metal items found. There was an old handsaw blade, 3 old disk brake pads, a spark plug, and other miscellaneous pieces of trash. I didn't find what I was looking for - my wife's ear bud that she lost while we were blowing the leaves from our back yard.

Most interesting to me is what looks like an artillery shell. On the other side of the pinpointer are five pieces that I dug up right next to the shell. The center piece is flat, and the other pieces are curved. I am thinking it could be the casing? I'd love to hear if anyone has thoughts on those.

As background, it was found in the woods in Eastham on Cape Cod (not in the National Seashore). There used to be a target ship visible a few miles out into Cape Cod bay that they used for target practice. (The Longstreet) I wonder if this was found by a local and buried here, or how it got here. And if that is the shell casing, then it wasn't a fired shell.

Thanks for looking! HH - Don
20221217_161955.jpg
20221217_161948.jpg

Upvote 9

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got a chance to do some searching in the wooded area behind my house. Lots of metal items found. There was an old handsaw blade, 3 old disk brake pads, a spark plug, and other miscellaneous pieces of trash. I didn't find what I was looking for - my wife's ear bud that she lost while we were blowing the leaves from our back yard.

Most interesting to me is what looks like an artillery shell. On the other side of the pinpointer are five pieces that I dug up right next to the shell. The center piece is flat, and the other pieces are curved. I am thinking it could be the casing? I'd love to hear if anyone has thoughts on those.

As background, it was found in the woods in Eastham on Cape Cod (not in the National Seashore). There used to be a target ship visible a few miles out into Cape Cod bay that they used for target practice. (The Longstreet) I wonder if this was found by a local and buried here, or how it got here. And if that is the shell casing, then it wasn't a fired shell.

Thanks for looking! HH - Don
View attachment 2060426 View attachment 2060427
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread