What's new

Found box marked Navajo Trade Tokens 1890

foundatreasure

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found a sealed box(at a thrift store) that is marked "Navaho(sic) Trade Tokens\Sterling 1890's 3429B(a catalog number?). I read that "Navaho" & "Navajo" could both be correct at different times & regions.

I've never seen such things before & wondered if anyone new anything about them. They are more likely "trade silver" vs. trade tokens I think. All the research on trade tokens I found were more like coins.

Looks like there is about 20 items in the box. It is sealed so I didn't think I should open it as it looks very old itself. I'll bet it has been 50 years at least since these were out of the box or handled by anyone.

Appears there is one of a buffalo or cow, a donkey or horse, a kneeling person, 3 variations of heads that look like Native American people with their hair pulled into a thong, another with feathers, another possible female & about 12 stick people. The 12 stick people have similar hash marks on them like a number sign # but with only 1 vertical line. The stick people are all a little different & don't seem to be from the same mold. On the non-stick people, didn't see any marks at all. Nothing on the backs that I can see either but it is near impossible to flip them in the box. Each item is about 1" each & are of varying thickness. I am now wondering if each item could weigh the same with the variation of size & thickness.

Each has a hanging loop but would face each other if strung. The point would only be to see the quantity of items rather than seeing each item from a beauty standpoint.

Any info is appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • token1.webp
    token1.webp
    185.9 KB · Views: 549
  • token13.webp
    token13.webp
    174.9 KB · Views: 542
  • token1a.webp
    token1a.webp
    186.2 KB · Views: 536
  • token6.webp
    token6.webp
    140.4 KB · Views: 533
  • token1.webp
    token1.webp
    185.9 KB · Views: 552
  • token13.webp
    token13.webp
    174.9 KB · Views: 546
  • token1a.webp
    token1a.webp
    186.2 KB · Views: 537
  • token6.webp
    token6.webp
    140.4 KB · Views: 536
  • token9.webp
    token9.webp
    210.6 KB · Views: 525
  • token10.webp
    token10.webp
    246.8 KB · Views: 557
Upvote 0
Hey, Welcome to t-net. They appear to be Milagros charms. I don't know if you could tell for sure if they were native american cast pieces, unless there are some type of specific hallmarks/makers marks on them? and a more certain provinance about their origin.
 
buckshot said:
Hey, Welcome to t-net. They appear to be Milagros charms. I don't know if you could tell for sure if they were native american cast pieces, unless there are some type of specific hallmarks/makers marks on them? and a more certain provinance about their origin.

You hit a home run; not so much for me!

Found the exact match on eBay to 3 of my charms in a lot of 30 asking for $6.95 with no bids. If I am lucky they will actually be sterling & would have some scrap value. Makes sense on what they are as I am in a Hispanic area.

Thanks!
 
Im bumping this up because its still considered unsolved. There is a member that believes these are pre tourist era Navajo silver items.

Is anyone familiar with early Navajo silver?

Did the Navajos ever copy, sell or trade in Spanish Milagros?
 
Deep suspicion these are silver. DO NOT sell or barter or melt until 'real' value can be determined....be patient, and be skeptical until you have +4 valuations....a serious treasure...congrats.!!!! Keep us posted...
 
Well, still not sure on these but I did find a Hopi symbol that is nearly identical to the one on the stick people in the box. I wrote to the person whose family uses this mark but didn't hear back. It says the hallmark is the Lakota sign for Rain. If anyone knows anything about this I would love to hear about it!
 

Attachments

  • Eddison_Hallmark.webp
    Eddison_Hallmark.webp
    1.5 KB · Views: 220

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom