What's new

Found coral-like object on beach-- what is it?

Sare

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 8, 2020
Messages
2
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the Oregon coast, and don't know what it is. It is heavy and a little bit larger than the palm of my hand. Any answers? Thanks!

IMG_3844.webpIMG_3845.webp
 
Clam shell... or some other type of shell.

What's left of one anyway.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree. Looks like a small shell, encased in coral and fossilized.
 
Upvote 0
Everyone is right. Shell. Coral. Fossilized. What part of Oregon Coast? Some beaches have a lot of these. Some none.

Time for more coffee.
 
Upvote 0
I also agree with the above. Coral builds upon anything on the sea floor.
 
Upvote 0
Everyone is right. Shell. Coral. Fossilized. What part of Oregon Coast? Some beaches have a lot of these. Some none.

Time for more coffee.

Thanks so much, everyone! It was on Cannon Beach after a storm. I assumed that's what it was, but wanted to check with the experts to make sure.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto Sare! :hello:
You might also want to consider re-posting your question and pics here... Geological Forums

That's a very nice find,
Dave
 
Upvote 0
That is a very old abalone shell. At least that was my first instinct.....now I'm second guessing that.....could be one half of a bivalve type shell.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wise to ask you never know.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy
 
Upvote 0
Fossilized coral can be found on Cannon Beach. Particularly after storms. I have found more on Southern Oregon beaches. Brookings seems to have quite a bit.
 
Upvote 0
I lived in Brookings for two years..... until I went broke trying to make a living.
 
Upvote 0
For the sake of discussion, let's consider another route.
tldr: Not necessarily seeing "coral" or "fossil".


Not Fossilized
?

Primarily, the contrast of the brilliant color suggests a recently dead shell.
The interior of the shell shows no incrustation, only light smoothing.
The interior and exterior both exhibit mild tumbling.
The interior of the calcareous tube worm casts are still lustrous.

(The purple color and the worm casts suggest a recent death)


Encrusted Shell.webp

Native flat oysters and several farmed varieties exist along the Oregon coast. Many of these tend to have a deep cavity where the oyster lives inside the shell ... differs from clams and such, that extend smoothly out to the edges.
An older mollusk might have a thicker shell, with the outer incrustation so invasive as to replace the exterior surface of the shell.
The "fragile" part of barnacles and worm casts are the parts that quickly wear off when they tumble on a beach.
(the interior of the worm cast is still lustrous and hasn't yet faded)

Oyster.webp

Summary:
Suggesting it may not be a fossil nor coral.
Possibly oyster shell.
Recently dead and mildly tumbled.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom