Found deep at base of old tree

Veraen

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has stumped 2 blacksmiths, 3 Rev War ammo nuts and anyone else whose seen it. Found it on family land at base of a very old tree. It was buried deep, gave a signature similar to lead and pewter. Heavier than hades and looks like it was originally poured into something that has since rotted away. Also seems like someone long ago cut pieces off as needed.
1CF8607C-DCED-48BA-AC8B-C9809494A8FE.jpeg CEB3275C-44E0-43E4-B286-D9F4854FB5CD.jpeg

One blacksmith had no clue, other thought it was graphite (seriously??) The Rev War guys all stated not lead despite its heft.

SORRY FOR DOUBLE IMAGES. Cant find way to delete.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardened mortar or clay or the like in a basket that has long since rotted away. Nice find!

Probably was in a basket something like this at one time:

indian pot.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Veraen

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree probably in a basket or such
But still looking for answers as to what type metal
and the big “why” bury it.

When I have been able to chip some off it reminds me of larger, very course, black sand.

Upvote 0

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell from the pictures, but that doesn't appear to be metal. It appears to be a conglomerate, probably of native sands, lime and clays made into some sort of mortar. Looks very cement like. You have any better close up pictures so we can see the composite structure closer?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Veraen

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll get some. It is definitely metal. Metal detector found it.

Upvote 0

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It may have iron fragments in it, but it doesn't appear to be all metal, you realistically wouldn't pour molten metal into a basket.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried a magnet on it ?
getting a tone does not mean it is a refined metal , some rocks and even coal gives a signal .

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd take a small drill bit drill into the base to see what the consistency is going in a few inches. Having a hole 1/8"th isn't going to change anything-but it might solve the riddle of what's it made of.

Kind of reminds me of clay (brick) when it's just dried and not fired. The basket rotted away theory works as maybe the woven basket held the clay to be used and never was. Now this would be going back to the indigenous eras of making there own wares.

Cool find

Upvote 0

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s a theory, a stretch but might explain the stone like appearance and the metal detector finding it.
I agree it seems to match the inside of a storage container. Is it possible that a pewter or tin cup was inside the original container and everything hardened together trapping the metal cup in the center of the mortar? A brick or stone mason might have used it to mix or store mortar and the measuring cup was left inside before it got hard and then the discarded when it was spoiled. It might take X-ray to solve the mystery.
Again just a theory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I think what you have is a Clay/Mortar mix that was stored in a basket to be used in the making of pots and bowls.
It most likely contains black sands that will produce a signal with a detector.

Black sand concentrates are what you end up with after first processing of your gold bearing material. It is usually a combination of minerals in the iron group: Hematite, Fe3o3, with a specific gravity of 5.26, an iron mineral that is non-magnetic and Magnetite, Fe3o4, with a specific gravity of 5.20, is magnetic.

Upvote 0

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s definitely metal (I’ll trust you on that) (easy to scratch it with a needle as a test), I would attempt to measure the specific gravity.
That will help you in determining the composition.

I would treat it gingerly until the mystery is solved.

Upvote 0

How Lucky

Jul 14, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does this thing seem to change when you view front to back? Looks like a big chunk has been broken off the top.

Upvote 0

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it definitely looks to be mortar. May have metal in it somehow, either black sand or something else internal. It can seem hard as metal, especially if it is old, how many years has it had to cure, there's no telling.

Looks like it was in a basket, as previously stated.That's why one side looks different, that was how the top of the mortar was laying in the basket when it was left to harden, the dent on the opposite side was where it was laying against the ground.. It wasn't laying standing up straight...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
This has stumped 2 blacksmiths, 3 Rev War ammo nuts and anyone else whose seen it. Found it on family land at base of a very old tree. It was buried deep, gave a signature similar to lead and pewter. Heavier than hades and looks like it was originally poured into something that has since rotted away. Also seems like someone long ago cut pieces off as needed.
One blacksmith had no clue, other thought it was graphite (seriously??) The Rev War guys all stated not lead despite its heft.

SORRY FOR DOUBLE IMAGES. Cant find way to delete.

It sounds to me like this is a large type of Fulgurite which are masses of fused soil, sand, rock, organic debris, etc.... that form when lightning discharges into ground.

Upvote 0

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find and you must have really worked to get that out and haul it in! Does the pin pointer react the same over the whole piece?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread