What's new

Found during metal detecting, but not by metal detecting.. still count?

Flounder

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2014
Messages
48
Reaction score
35
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a quarter today on the surface while detecting. Wife said it didn't count (good natured ribbing, not a jab). What's the consensus on this? ???
 
if you had the detector in your hands and were looking down it counts
 
If I didn't have my detector I wouldn't have been there. Definitely a detector find!
 
Agree with your wife........"happy wife = happy life ;-)
 
Agree with your wife........"happy wife = happy life ;-)

Forget what I said,, This is a much better idea,, and truthfully it is how I live in my world..

I can only say things like,"I disagree", or "you are wrong" on this site,, because she doesn't visit here!

Don't let my foolish statements get you in a world of hurt! "Yes Dear" is a much better idea.
 
Forget what I said,, This is a much better idea,, and truthfully it is how I live in my world.. I can only say things like,"I disagree", or "you are wrong" on this site,, because she doesn't visit here! Don't let my foolish statements get you in a world of hurt! "Yes Dear" is a much better idea.

There you go.................. the thing has MUCH MORE VALUE if you agree with your wife's assertion that it doesn't count. IMHO..Agreeing with your wife on small matters is like depositing money in the Bank, to be used in the future - if you get my drift .
 
If it's in the "poc" it counts. If you found an emerald ring on the surface what would she say then? I know what I would say. It's MINE dear!
 
If it's in the "poc" it counts. If you found an emerald ring on the surface what would she say then? I know what I would say. It's MINE dear!

Mamabear - if I found an emerald ring with my wife standing next to me; I would immediately say (before she had a chance to claim it for herself); "hey honey, look what I found FOR YOU!" Thinking to myself...More money in the Bank!
 
Now Eureka, how sweet of you to say that, but do you really think she would let you sell it after you gave it to her? I think not!
 
But Mama Bear! He sold it as soon as he gave her the new precious!
I like that, Money in the bank. I practice it as often as I can!
 
I've been hunting with a couple of friends for over forty years. We call surface finds "insult coins" or "insult jewelry" (usually more of the former) since we always thought it was insulting to eyeball a find we could have found without a detector that cost us a week's pay. By the way a lot of folks think detectors are way too expensive these days. Well allowing for inflation they are about the same today as forty years ago. My first machine cost me $150 in 1970, a good week's pay then, and now with a Pro pointer my Safari cost me $1,100, my week's pay in 2011.
 
My wife says to me "How much is it worth? How much can you get for it? How much are you giving to me?" lol...hope she doesn't read this...or I will end up swimming in the east river..
 
My wife says to me "How much is it worth? How much can you get for it? How much are you giving to me?" lol...hope she doesn't read this...or I will end up swimming in the east river..

You can't swim with cement booties!

It's why I don't leave Tnet pages open and I have plausible deniability with my password,, Good luck out there!
 
Can't mess with those Hell's Kitchen women...I am just a country bumpkin from north Jersey..
Hells-Kitchen-NYC.webp
 
Now Eureka, how sweet of you to say that, but do you really think she would let you sell it after you gave it to her? I think not!

I don't think you know what I mean by "money in the bank" Mamabear. The expression means that I gain "points" (easily, with little or no cost to me) to be cashed in at a future date......if you get my drift. ;-)
 
I don't count anything I didn't find with my detector.
 
I don't count anything I didn't find with my detector.

Chicken or the egg though, would you have found it had you not had your detector (and not been there to begin with)?

The very notion of the question could literally tear a hole in the space time continuum.
 
If you're attending your child's soccer game, look down and spot a "merc", consider it luck. But... If on same ground w detector in hand, it's keeper and counts.
Peace
 
In my opinion, if you have an operating detector in hand and are detecting, it's legitimate to claim it as a "counter". After all, you did find it "detecting".
luvsdux
 
I think this is kind of a fun story. I am new to the hobby and my first day out I took my mother and her boyfriend out. We started out at the beach but had no luck as the detectors were brand new and we had never dialed in a MD before. So after about an hour of nothing but chatter and not being able to make heads or tails of any of the signals we were getting we called it quits. We got back to my mothers house and decided to search the driveway which is gravel. We spent about an hour doing this as well and had the same issue with the signals. We took the detectors in to wave some coins in front of them to get an idea of the audio signals and readouts the produce. Then with a detector in both hands (both were off) I walked down to put them in the trunk of my car. On the way there I spotted a penny from 1980 just sitting on top of the gravel. Both my mother and her boyfriend swear up and down that they didn't put it there as a gag. I was just a little frustrated obviously but it was fun none the less.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom