Found - Gem 1970S with doubled date. DDO?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I have been searching for errors and last night I was going through some old penny's I had stored away years ago. I found a beautiful 1970s, it would probably grade MS64 red or so, with doubling on the date. I don't think I have a good enough camera to show the doubling, but it looks just like the doubling on the penny here

The 1970 S Doubled Die Obverse

the problem is, my penny doesn't have doubling on anything but the date. is this a rotation error or is it a variety of a double die? any insight would be greatly appreciated, in this condition a true DDO would be quite valuable

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should also say I can see the doubling on the S mint mark as well. no sign of it in liberty or in god we trust! what is something like this worth?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Classic machine doubling. The mintmark is added by hand so it shouldn't show the doubling. Take away the doubling on your coin and I bet the design is reduced.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the doubling if the same as the example shown would be exactly the same. Not just part of it. The true doubling is on the die so every coin will be the same.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks enamel7, that's very helpful info. boy was I excited when I saw the date doubled since it was the first thing I looked at. When did they stop stamping by hand, late 80s?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread