Attachments

• Jan10_02.JPG
    Jan10_02.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Jan10_03.JPG
    Jan10_03.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
I think it's a real penny it just missed the copper coating in the minting process. I think that it's worth keeping it could be be worth something.

I guess someone could have removed the copper, but I wouldn't know how that was done maybe someone here knows.

Onion

Thanks for the input Onion, it is identical to the 2000 coin next to it. No signs of abrasions or acid marks, it is slightly concaved on back but very slightly. maybee somebody can figure it out, thanks again

Thanks Silverseeker, dose tumbling coins leave any evidence on the coin? like i posted earlier this coin appears perfect, short of circulation wear

It may have also been burned off

Burned off with out damage too the coin? it is a little concaved which could happen from heat I guess. The finish is completely gone. Thanks for the reply Jeff.
kenb

good job john we have to get him out to the beach ken or maybe the library. once he finds a wheaty penny or a silver coin he's going to be hooked

If somebody removed the copper they probably didn't do it through a chemical process. From what I know anything that will remove the copper will also destroy the zinc too. Try it out sometime - if you file a little nick into the edge of a penny and stick it in some HCl overnight, the zinc will all be gone and it'll leave a shiny copper almost foil-like shell intact.

that's the thing, I don't really know...lol. I've only ever done it in the classroom, so my advice to you is to make friends with a chemist.

I do know that some gold prospectors use something called Muriatic Acid to wash ore with. Although I've never looked personally, it's supposedly available at hardware stores. Muriatic acid is diluted HCl, so that may work.

If you try it, it's best to make two small nicks in opposite edges of the penny. Otherwise you have to make one BIG nick in one side. After a few hours, take something (NOT your finger, or any other appendage for that matter) and tap the penny a little. If something that looks like dirt falls out of it, it's working. I know when we did ours we left it for 24 hours so it could take awhile.

I you like playing with chemicals check out this site!!!!
http://www.unitednuclear.com/supplies.htm
that didn't work write, you'll have to type in address. I've purchased a few items from this place and made some VERY interesting things

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back