Found in father's storage locker

Thunderbolt

Feb 28, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were similar examples online but none with markings like this one has. Does anyone know anything else specific to this piece?
20211223_215847.jpg
20211223_011800.jpg
20211223_220004.jpg

Thank you.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know specifically what blade that is but there are several knife forums that might be able to identify it for you. One of those is BladeForums. There is a sub-forum on there called Bernard-Levine's Knife Collecting and Identification. I'd post the URL, but I got in trouble the last time I posted a URL. Not sure why.

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a Japanese bayonet. The square pommel shows it was made very late in WWII. The markings show it was made by the Toyoda Automatic Loom company. Is there a push-button on the other side of the pommel? If not it was not intended to be used on a rifle, but lashed to a pole for use as a pike. Google "Arisaka bayonet" and "pole bayonet" for more information.

OP
OP
T

Thunderbolt

Feb 28, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try posting this to the "What Is It" forum. You have a good chance of an ID there.
It is a Japanese bayonet. The square pommel shows it was made very late in WWII. The markings show it was made by the Toyoda Automatic Loom company. Is there a push-button on the other side of the pommel? If not it was not intended to be used on a rifle, but lashed to a pole for use as a pike. Google "Arisaka bayonet" and "pole bayonet" for more information.
That explains why my Google search results included links written in Japanese! I thought it strange but never considered it would be of that origin because we are not Japanese. My father never mentioned even having the bayonette. No other family is alive to tell the story behind it either. Thank you for your reply

OP
OP
T

Thunderbolt

Feb 28, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this the protrusion you are talking about?

Attachments

• 20211223_011816.jpg
    20211223_011816.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this the protrusion you are talking about?
Yes it should be a spring-loaded press stud that activates a latching mechanism inside the pommel. It’s function is to unlock the bayonet so it can be removed from the rifle. If it is not a moving mechanism, but only a solid lump of metal, it means that the pommel was made to be used on a bayonet but was diverted for use on a pole bayonet, which were meant to be issued to civilians for a suicidal last stand.

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That explains why my Google search results included links written in Japanese! I thought it strange but never considered it would be of that origin because we are not Japanese. My father never mentioned even having the bayonette. No other family is alive to tell the story behind it either. Thank you for your reply
Where bouts in Arkansas you from? A lot of Arkies served in the Pacific in WWII. Know if your Dad was there? A large Japanese-American relocation camp was located about 20 miles from my home,I doubt that Jap bayonets were popular items there,but a returning GI assigned as a guard might have brought one.Not to mention these and other WWII bayonets were sold by the thousands in the proliferation of Army surplus stores that sprang up following WWII.Could have been given to your Dad by someone too. No telling how many of these things are hiding in attics and garages,on old barn shelves and the like,waiting to be discovered.Sadly,many get tossed into the trash and end up in some landfill.Too bad there,s not a society for the rescue of old militaria.Hope you find the story on yours,if you do be sure to let us know.Fellow Arkie.

OP
OP
T

Thunderbolt

Feb 28, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where bouts in Arkansas you from? A lot of Arkies served in the Pacific in WWII. Know if your Dad was there? A large Japanese-American relocation camp was located about 20 miles from my home,I doubt that Jap bayonets were popular items there,but a returning GI assigned as a guard might have brought one.Not to mention these and other WWII bayonets were sold by the thousands in the proliferation of Army surplus stores that sprang up following WWII.Could have been given to your Dad by someone too. No telling how many of these things are hiding in attics and garages,on old barn shelves and the like,waiting to be discovered.Sadly,many get tossed into the trash and end up in some landfill.Too bad there,s not a society for the rescue of old militaria.Hope you find the story on yours,if you do be sure to let us know.Fellow Arkie.
We moved to north central Arkansas years ago when I was a kid. The bayonet may have moved with us and dad stored it away OR he acquired it somewhere along the way. He was fond of the m1 rifle and had bought three. I only knew of one but after he died I found the other two. Perhaps he obtained the bayonet from part of one of the gun purchases, idk? I havent had the time to see if it would fit one of them but I suspect not with it being japanese.. Dad was from northern Mississippi and put in the required 4 years in the Army but did not serve during any wartime. I want to say his father may have served in ww1 or 2 but not only did I never meet my grandfather, he died back in the late fifties and our family have been poor historians. It is possible that I can glean some info from a box of various documents I recall seeing in his basement. Mom is still living but she knew nothing about it either. Right now, I'm guessing my grandfather is the link. I will update if I find out any new info.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We moved to north central Arkansas years ago when I was a kid. The bayonet may have moved with us and dad stored it away OR he acquired it somewhere along the way. He was fond of the m1 rifle and had bought three. I only knew of one but after he died I found the other two. Perhaps he obtained the bayonet from part of one of the gun purchases, idk? I havent had the time to see if it would fit one of them but I suspect not with it being japanese.. Dad was from northern Mississippi and put in the required 4 years in the Army but did not serve during any wartime. I want to say his father may have served in ww1 or 2 but not only did I never meet my grandfather, he died back in the late fifties and our family have been poor historians. It is possible that I can glean some info from a box of various documents I recall seeing in his basement. Mom is still living but she knew nothing about it either. Right now, I'm guessing my grandfather is the link. I will update if I find out any new info.
Thank you,look forward to hearing what you may find out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread