Found in garden today...better than any coin

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Can't believe I found this. I started a garden a few days ago with my mom. We've been working in lately, tilling it up a lot, since we've never had a garden before. Most of our property is gravel, but we do live along a river and there is some very good soil.

This area is rocky, but has a lot of good topsoil in it.

I haven't posted any detecting finds the past few weeks (I'll do this later).

Anyway, the area that I live in is said to be the area of an old Native American settlement from years ago. I commented to my mother yesterday when we were pulling rocks out of the garden...I said, "Wouldn't it be awesome to find an Indian Arrowhead in here?" Of course, she said yes.

Well, today that's exactly what I found. A REAL INDIAN ARROWHEAD.

Here are the picks. The top is broke off (I'm guessing the last half inch or so), but its almost 2 inches long.

Here are the pictures. I've scanned a picture of each side.

I'm simply ecstatic though. Goes along good with the 1885 and 1893 Indianhead Pennies that I pulled from the ground on Wednesday.

Attachments

• arrowhead1.jpg
    arrowhead1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 657
  • arrowhead2.jpg
    arrowhead2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 652
  • arrowhead1.jpg
    arrowhead1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 659
  • arrowhead2.jpg
    arrowhead2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 663
Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I can assure you, there's more there just waiting to be found. :thumbsup:
Randy

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
Looks like an impact fracture. If there's lots of flint you're on a campsite. Good luck.

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I really dont know much about rocks. The arrowhead is actually quite light in weight. I would think it would be heavier, but I guess back then they probably needed light weight on the arrows since the bows probably weren't that fast.

Anyway, how would I know if I was seeing Flint?

Is flint all the same color? Or different colors?

Any idea how old this piece is? Or what kind of rock it is made from?

ANy help would be appreciated.

Chuck

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Deerhunter24 said:
I really dont know much about rocks. The arrowhead is actually quite light in weight. I would think it would be heavier, but I guess back then they probably needed light weight on the arrows since the bows probably weren't that fast.

Anyway, how would I know if I was seeing Flint?

Is flint all the same color? Or different colors?

Any idea how old this piece is? Or what kind of rock it is made from?

ANy help would be appreciated.

Chuck

Age is a hard one. Mostly determined by the other artifacts found at the site or the particular type of artifact found as well as the area found in.
As far as seeing flint, flint comes in many shapes, forms and colors. Best to look for chips that are all different colors. Most flint found in a site will be small flat chips formed while knapping a blade or point or some other useful tool. The flint chips will be sharp just like broken glass. If you are finding chips, you have a site, if you are finding rocks you may not be in a site.
Hope this helps.
Randy

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find in the garden.I have been digging 3 ringers from mine. The point does look very old and the good news is that you are by a river which is most times a travel route. It all may not be in your garden but bet if you explore that river and its banks you may find more or the camp site as stated above by RPG. Thats a cool find for sure in your yard. Nice buck in your pic. What did he weigh??
TnMountains

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Found about 1/2 to 3/4 of another arrowhead in the garden today. Man...something must have been going on in this area awhile back.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

TNMountains...the buck field dressed at 198 lbs. I shot another one that field dressed at 208 lbs.

Chuck

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Here is the picture of the both arrowheads. The one on the right is the 2nd one i found. I found it with a sifter. I have probably only sifted through less 5% of this area, but now the whole garden is planted. So I may have to wait til the fall or the spring to really sift alot .

Either way...here is the picture. I have also found numerous other little shards, or pieces, that look like they could have been pieces of arrowheads. Also, found two rocks that almost look like the could be wedges of some kind. There is no way that these other two rocks were not man made. They are like perfect wedges. One is almost two perfectly smooth on both sides. If you guys are interested...I'll post pics of them as well...maybe you guys know if they are something or not.

Attachments

• botharowheads.jpg
    botharowheads.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 418
  • botharowheads.jpg
    botharowheads.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 400
OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Here is the picture of the things that look like Wedges of some kind. These are just scans. There is a quarter in the picture for reference.

Attachments

• wedges.jpg
    wedges.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 407
OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
From top to bottom...id say the one on the left is an inch thick...the other is like 3/4 of an inch thick.

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ohio Doug...i checked out the site. The only one I see that closely resembles the one I found is this one...

http://www.oplin.org/point/identify/bifacial/points/side/kesselpt.html

Check it out. A kessel point. Mine is 1 1/2 inches long. I would be exactly two if the whole point was there. I have a hard time thinking its 10,000 years old, but who knows?

Chuck

PS- I matched it up on the screen and its almost identical.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deerhunter24 said:
Found about 1/2 to 3/4 of another arrowhead in the garden today. Man...something must have been going on in this area awhile back.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

TNMountains...the buck field dressed at 198 lbs. I shot another one that field dressed at 208 lbs.

Chuck

Chuck I knew where you were from he would dress out well. Here live weight at 200 lbs is good though we are starting to see some nice scored 150-160-170 B&C. Man I love the hunts. Every one.
Richard

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Thanks for sharing...I am so impressed with what great photos yall post.....Please tell us/me about your camera and what you do to get such clear detail. Also,Ohio guy---thanks for the link......will dig out some of my finds and do some studyin'.....is this site just for Ohio finds or is it useful for points found else where like in Va.....thanks again ,yall.

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Deerhunter, I don't think yours matches the Kessel, if you look at the base on your point you will notice it's convex rather than concave like the Kessel points typically are. I'm guessing your point fits more towards the late Archaic time period putting it closer to 5,000 yrs old.

Fla-Gal, I think that site might be useful for getting a somewhat accurate date on artifacts found elsewhere, the names they are given generally come from the area they are found in, so that will vary from region to region. Hope this helps.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
whats so cool about your point is the impact fracture. It was thrown at something . Your point is identical to out southern point, the Bolen plain or bevel. They are true atlatl points and they date transitional paleo 8500-10000 .

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I really don't know much about the points, since these are the first that I found. But are you guys sure that this arrowhead was made before the bow? Is it not the kind of arrowhead that went on an arrow? And for sure...is it something that is more than likely over 200-300 years old? Thanks for your help. Chuck.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
bolens from Florida, the last is a greenbriar, there is a form like tis I have found that is a woodland time point, just showing some example.

DSCF1517-1-1.jpg

DSCF1518-1.jpg

DSCF1519-1.jpg

DSCF1520-1.jpg

DSCF1521-1.jpg

DSCF1522-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread