What's new

I Finally Found One! FIRST Stone Arrowhead!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2017
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
4,702
Golden Thread
3
Location
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've been waiting for this day for a long time now. My buddy got permission to do a turn of the century farmhouse and the fields. Beautiful house and very large fields. Biggest farm we've ever been too. Couldn't tell you the acreage.

Spent about an hour around the house and found a general service button and a buggy brake end. There were three of us detecting around the house and the field was calling to me, so off I went. There was a creek about a mile from the house. Started my orbit around the field by the main road. Maybe walked a half mile or so from the house and at highest point in the field and then it happened..

20260426_094310.webp


20260426_094322.webp


20260426_094531.webp




FIRST EVER STONE POINT!!! It's about 2 inches long I would say. I'm so happy it finally happened to me. Its beautiful and complete too.

So does anyone have an idea about the approximate age of this arrowhead? Google lense said it was archaic period 6,000 to 8,000 years old, but I know very little about stone points yet. I found it in Southeastern Wisconsin. I hope someone can fill me in.

Anyways thanks for taking a look. The year of quality over quantity finds continues on. Good luck out there and happy hunting everyone.
 
Upvote 0
that's awesome. I love arrowheads even though I haven't found very many in my life. I you have a chance to go back and hunt for more, go after it's been plowed and had a good rain to really expose them.
If there's one there is likely more! Good luck!!
Thanks guys. Owner said we were welcome back anytime and that they have found a few over the years. This field hasn't been worked yet this year but he offered to plow it just so we could search for more! Super awesome guy and he even offered to sell me his old 65 Chevy C60 stake truck that he doesn't use anymore. Awesome day turned into something better!
 
6000 to 8000 years old! To be correct, that one is NOT an arrowhead!
Ok tesoro! Are you implying that this point predates the invention of the bow and arrow?
 
Ok tesoro! Are you implying that this point predates the invention of the bow and arrow?
Well the Bow and Arrow technology appeared here about 2500 to 3000 years ago as far as I remember. That’s based on our current understanding, subject to change. I do not know the age of your find, but IF it’s 6000-8000 years old (as someone here mentioned), yes it predates bow and arrow technology by a long way. Maybe spend some time trying to find the type to see if you can date it.
 
Well the Bow and Arrow technology appeared here about 2500 to 3000 years ago as far as I remember. That’s based on our current understanding, subject to change. I do not know the age of your find, but IF it’s 6000-8000 years old (as someone here mentioned), yes it predates bow and arrow technology by a long way. Maybe spend some time trying to find the type to see if you can date.
Thats interesting. I thought for sure it would have been used here long before then. Well it very well could be an atlatl point or spear point. Someone earlier identified it as a Fox Valley Point. Areas they are found in include Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.
 
Repost your find in the Native American Artifacts forum. There some folks there that might take a stab at identifying your find. There are fine details in flaking patterns, size, shape, proportions, thickness, ect. Now is the opportunity to learn something new. Clovis points have been found all across the country, so historical occupation typically goes back much further than One would assume.
 
Atlatl for sure. The bow was thousands of years later. Atlatl was a mean machine especially with that Fox Valley serrated on the shaft. Great find.
 
Atlatl for sure. The bow was thousands of years later. Atlatl was a mean machine especially with that Fox Valley serrated on the shaft. Great find.
Thanks for the info! Guess I never realized that the bow was a "newer" invention in North America.
It's been resharpend and is serrated so there's a good chance it was used as a knife.
Thanks newnan! How can you tell its been resharpened?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom