Found more ag + Magicians coin!

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Hoping to continue on the good silver vein of last week. I did 4 $500 dime boxes, Box 1 - 1956 D, 1962 D, 1963 D, 1964, Swiss 1980 1/2 Franc, Box 2 - 1950. Box 3 garbage. Box 4 garbage. At one bank they had $1.50 in halves. I noticed 1 had a wierd clunk like sound its a 1984 and only when I looked under the 10x loupe could I find the seam on the reverse. ( Does anyone know how to non destructively open it up? ). Other half finds were $50 in cwrs - 1966. Teller tray $3 - 1967

Upvote 0
Throw it in a plastic jar with a few other halves and shake...that should get her open.

Joad

I found an '81P double sided obverse half in a box just last Fri. - it was an ender too (obv....I think).

That is only the 2nd double sided half I've ever found (I found a double sided rev. half last year). I also found a reg. magicians half last year too.

I looked this up thru bing and this is what came up, dont think its supposed to open.

Answer
You have a manually altered novelty item, known as a Magician's Coin, made by altering two normal coins and gluing the pieces back together, that sells regularly for a couple dollars.

Use a magnifier and examine just inside the raised rim on both sides of the coin, looking for a seam where the pieces are joined, that can be on either side of the coin.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_double_headed_half_dollar_worth#ixzz1mJUHQcqB

joad said:
Throw it in a plastic jar with a few other halves and shake...that should get her open.

Joad

It will open, it just needs some persuasion. Just make sure if you use a glass jar, that it is thick enough. I broke a Mason's jar last year trying to get a Magician coin open.

It looks like a regular half ( heads/tails ) whats the purpose of these? A treasure map inside? LOL

santafeboy said:
It looks like a regular half ( heads/tails ) whats the purpose of these? A treasure map inside? LOL

normally used to make the half dollar "disappear" and another coin appear. I've found a couple that have the large British penny inside. I also have one that was machined to hide a quarter and the quarter was further machined to hide a dime. I put pictures on that one on TN some time last year.

If it is a friction fit, you could try heat. You wouldn't want so much that you'd damamge the coin though. Maybe a hairdryer on the bigger side?

I really don't like Magician's coins that have heads & tails. The tail side is most likely rotated so it looks all off. They all sound funny when bounced. I worry that some merchant won't take them if he thinks they sound weird. I try to get rid of every Magican's coin I get by spending them. I have kept a few that are head-heads. I haven't gotten any tail-tail configurations.

Santafeboy...This coin is PROBABLY a part of a magic trick called "Scotch & Soda." Gently shaking it in a glass should work. If you're near a magic shop, stop by & ask for a "bang ring." These are used to separate the two halves. The coin trick generally sells for $20-25, so still not a bad find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back