Found My First 20 Cent Piece Today. Plus Some Other Stuff.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

Although it's not American I still thought it was a nice find. I haven't been out in the last week. I've been busy and it's been really cold here.

The winds have been like 25 miles per hr. I'm not a sissy but the treasure isn't going anywhere. It's not the 20 cent piece I would have liked to have found. But it still is a new old coin for me.

I don't find to many new old coins. I've found most of them but not all of them. I took my son out today for about 1.5 hrs to some old foundations I've been going over.

Still alot of hits but slow. It's closer to home and I wanted to be home to watch football. Steelers were on at 4:15 and me and my wife play on poles.

I usually don't post my finds until after a few weeks and they build up. But this is a coin I never saw on any forums. So I figured I'd just make a quick post now to show you all.

I got a really nice hit a plus 80 on the dfx. I was assuming a silver dime. It pinpointed at 5 inches. I dug out some dirt checked it. It was still in the hole. Brought the shovel back a few inches and dug down.

I first saw it by it's reeded edge and said what is this. It's the same size as a us nickle. It's also the same thickness. I seen a date of 1944 and I knew it was some kind of centavo. It also has a D mint mark. I've found a few 1 centers from the early 1900's.

But this would be my first 20 cent piece. It was in really ruff shape after rinsing. It was all green and hard dirt packed in it. Not even soap and a tooth brush would get it out.

So I had to clean it. It came out really nice compared to what it was. Something about foreign silver that is cheap. Doesn't hold up as well in the ground.

I also found a nice buckle with gilt left on it. Then I found a really weird eagle button I think. I think it was a Button all bent out to be flat. It's like a oval nickle if you could imagine that.

The back is all rusted like it was apart of something. It's very thin and has lines that run through it. Maybe someone bent a button all out and removed the shank. I also got a 47 nickle.

I got lazy today and was hungry and had a nice coin. So I called it a day. Hope you all like the coin. Thanks for looking.

HH Jer

Attachments

• 1944 mexican silver dirty.jpg
    1944 mexican silver dirty.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 781
  • 1944 D 20 centavos front.jpg
    1944 D 20 centavos front.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 783
  • 1944 D 20 centavos back.jpg
    1944 D 20 centavos back.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 780
  • buckle weird eagle button.jpg
    buckle weird eagle button.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 767
  • 10-15-06 relics.jpg
    10-15-06 relics.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 767
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find's Jeremy....I need to bring you out to the farm's at Antietam....Nice group of item's...Congrat's!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very cool coin - the 20 cent one. Actually in the US Red Book. Listed as being worth .75 in EF-40. Still a super find in my book. I actually have a couple of those centavo coins from my coin collection as a kid. Was minted when the US owned the Phillippines. Commonwealth ended in 1946.

HH
Bob

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Jer....nice assortment huh ;D, especially the .20 piece. GOOD JOB!

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot everyone,

Mirage, I should have checked my redbook also. I forgot they are in the back section. These coins are undervalued. 28 million is alot but you'd think as thick as they are they would be worth more than that in melt value.

Nice looking coins. It was a surprize. Would have liked to find the rare 20 cent american silver coin from the 1800's. One day maybe. That's a tough coin to find.

Civilman, I'd love to be there with you. That place looked awesome. I could see bullets and plates already. Do you have to turn in the things you find there.

Thanks alot Michigan, You really help me keep my confidence up. I go out and always try hard to get something good. The hobby has been pretty good to me.

Thanks again everyone,

HH Jeremy

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Jer! Keep up the excellent detecting work. Tsgman

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Tsgman, I will.

Things are really starting to die out here now. Hopefully the weather will hold for another month or so. Last year some of my best months were dec and jan. I guess time will tell.

HH Jer

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks rtde

HH Jer

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot Laura

HH Jeremy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeremy....The farm's around the area can never be built on....ever!!....Some kind of "grandfather clause"....All private....It's alway's "pickable"!!!!

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys,

Civilman, I think I know what you mean.

Seeker, I did lol. It was something different for a change. Cool to see a new coin come up every now and then. I thought a merc for sure. But it was way to thick when I first saw it.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread