Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that says "Before Take off" should be a plane -

I think the ladies hubby did some scrapping as I have found some slag in the area also. I will ask her next time I see her. She's been on this property 55 years.

But it was funny I found a aircraft piece, as I told my other half at camp up here on the Kalama River, "I think I'll go look for DB Cooper today - :)

Looks like a personal size aircraft - any hints on make or model?

Happy 4th everyone!!

palnepart02.jpg planepart01.jpg planepart03.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a parking break. Looks older as the parking break in planes like cessnas and pipers are inside the cabin and is more of a dipstick. A while back they were directly on the wheel strut and on each wheel. I may be wrong though. I've only flown planes for 2 years and was never good at the history portion.

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a parking break. Looks older as the parking break in planes like cessnas and pipers are inside the cabin and is more of a dipstick. A while back they were directly on the wheel strut and on each wheel. I may be wrong though. I've only flown planes for 2 years and was never good at the history portion.

Hunter, thanks for the comeback!

Found about 7" down tangled in cedar roots thick as my small thumb. Gosh, it sounded so sweet, 92-96 on AT pro, just didn't sound like a can, must be that aircraft grade aluminum.

HH

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it was the door hatch to a two or four seater aircraft. That looks more like it. However, it confuses me as to why you would unlock before takeoff. In my training, locking the door is the last step before takeoff.

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter, thanks for the comeback!

Found about 7" down tangled in cedar roots thick as my small thumb. Gosh, it sounded so sweet, 92-96 on AT pro, just didn't sound like a can, must be that aircraft grade aluminum.

HH

Oh I bet it sounded great!! I would be so excited to see that Vdi. Good luck in figuring out what it is!!

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that says "Before Take off" should be a plane -

I think the ladies hubby did some scrapping as I have found some slag in the area also. I will ask her next time I see her. She's been on this property 55 years.

But it was funny I found a aircraft piece, as I told my other half at camp up here on the Kalama River, "I think I'll go look for DB Cooper today - :)

Looks like a personal size aircraft - any hints on make or model?

Happy 4th everyone!!

View attachment 1332161 View attachment 1332162 View attachment 1332163

hi.png

You got me on a tangent and here is what I came up with. Take a look at the first couple of paragraphs on the top left. He talks about the landing gear.

here is the link. if you can open it, the article begins on pg 77 called airline test pilot and ends on pg 82. The screen shot I took was on pg 80. Thanks for the mystery!! I will try looking for pics on the actual part!!

https://books.google.com/books?id=v...bNAhUo_4MKHcWdDgUQ6AEIIzAB#v=onepage&q&f=true

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1332180

You got me on a tangent and here is what I came up with. Take a look at the first couple of paragraphs on the top left. He talks about the landing gear.

here is the link. if you can open it, the article begins on pg 77 called airline test pilot and ends on pg 82. The screen shot I took was on pg 80. Thanks for the mystery!! I will try looking for pics on the actual part!!

https://books.google.com/books?id=v...bNAhUo_4MKHcWdDgUQ6AEIIzAB#v=onepage&q&f=true

Hah! I know what tangents are about - I spent many hours scratching brain itches myself -

Don't spoil your 4th looking this up - but awesome what you found online already!

HH

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minor update - a Pilots board seems to think it is a form of Gust lock. No idea of make/year yet -

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help here, but I'm following with interest!

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have found a part # after further looking

Pilot board spotted a part number - part # 63-32129 - if it was a 5 instead of a 6 as first number, F-4 Phantom, but they are still looking -

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/partmanu.htm

Interesting resource for those who dig -

Last edited:
OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTE: the actual number is 63-32129 The parts manual uses the # to id parts. This part has no #. Sorry for any confusion.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting mytery!

Maybe someone other than Cooper was dropping $$.

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Little of the Museum of Flight in Seattle have answered in part - I have replied w/photos - fingers crossed

"The number on the part, 63-32129, sounds like a United States Air Force serial number, with the first two digits, “63,” indicating that the aircraft was built with funds from Fiscal Year 1963, which ran from 1 July 1962 through 30 June 1963. Unfortunately, the highest USAF serial number that I can find for FY 1963 is 63-13694 (source: 1963 USAF Serial Numbers.), which is much lower than the serial number on the part that you found."

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find, congratulations. You do not find many plane parts while detecting, cool relic! :occasion14:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummmm...it doesn't happen to have Amelia scratched in it anywhere........does it? ;)

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummmm...it doesn't happen to have Amelia scratched in it anywhere........does it? ;)

I know, this has turned into a mystery of how the Canopy lever from a BT-13 got under a tree root next to the Kalama river.

"What is it" is popular on any board - the aircraft board I posted to have been as great as ours. :icon_thumright:

Will keep ya'll posted -

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Pop the canopy and bail out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread