Found my first silver dollar today...Carolina Tom wept real tears!!!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ventured down to Charlotte today for a hunt with Carolina Tom and Smittyman. It pretty much started raining when we started detecting, and stopped raining when we quit for the day. We hunted two sites that Smittyman had found. One he had hunted and found a merc and "1600s" buckle. Today not much to speak of was found. The second site was a large tract that at one time had a house on it. Smittyman had never hunted it because it was overgrown with grass and weeds. It wasn't perfect today but we could hunt quite a few areas. About an hour in I got my first good target. Normally I wouldn't have dug it (97 on the Deus) because you don't actually find silver dollars. But from the very first pass of my coil and every pass after that I got only 97s.....nothing higher or lower. Also, when I lifted my coil the signal disappeared after only lifting about 2" so I was hoping it wasn't a can. Long story short, after hacking through some roots I found the Morgan had sunk through the rich soil and come to rest face down in the wet clay layer. That's how it is here in NC where there is a lot of clay. It acts like bedrock when looking for gold.

Can't begin to describe the excitement when I saw it. And to have found it with two friends.....special! It's a feeling I sincerely hope that everyone on here who hasn't found one gets to experience. Enjoy the photos and good luck hunting. I almost forgot........Tom didn't really cry real tears and was very happy for me.

morgan.jpg
morgan front.jpg
morgan back.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 69

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats!!! Its a wonderful feeling you get lost in when you realize what you just dug. I have been lucky enough to dig a 1928 Peace last summer and a 1921 morgan this summer, it only took me 28 years. Lol.

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on finding your first silver dollar Jay! :occasion14:
Looks like you just might have to change your avatar now!

Dave

Last edited:

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Congratulations on such a beautiful coin.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's a milestone find for any detectorist, Beez! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I still haven't found a silver dollar or a half, so definitely happy to see someone get one! Congratulations on a great find and a great day!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, I think it's a conspiracy that this keeps popping up...contact your congressman and ask for an investigation.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's so big! Lol

That is a big silver to pull out of the ground. I would have been thinking a flattened soda can initially but solid repeat signals don't lie. Congrats on the BIG silver. It's a great design and year, and in amazing shape.

Still looking for my first silver $1

greentree89

Mar 28, 2013
UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro VLF Eldorado Old Metal Box Version
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find! Congrats! :D

davidbird42

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is amazing! You didn't rub it clean did you? lol. Sorry, the collector in me comes out at times. Well done! Keep 'tecting!

CarlinNC

Nov 21, 2014
Hickory
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac, fisher f75ltd,tesoro tejon,garrett at pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, nothing like digging up those large silvers, I see you are up in newton ..this is Carl from Carolina Detectors and I am up in hickory nc maybe we can get together for a hunt and thinking of getting together some treasure hunters to start a metal detecting club in this area..Carl

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding your first silver dollar Jay! :occasion14:
Looks like you just might have to change your avatar now!

Dave

I thought about it Dave. But I used to have an avatar of the one and only IH penny I have ever found, an 1864. Shortly after changing to that as my avatar I accidently tossed the IH off of or under my deck. So now it's lost. Not sure I want to risk that with the Morgan.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about it Dave. But I used to have an avatar of the one and only IH penny I have ever found, an 1864. Shortly after changing to that as my avatar I accidently tossed the IH off of or under my deck. So now it's lost. Not sure I want to risk that with the Morgan.

I am sure Tom will safeguard it for you!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find, nothing like digging up those large silvers, I see you are up in newton ..this is Carl from Carolina Detectors and I am up in hickory nc maybe we can get together for a hunt and thinking of getting together some treasure hunters to start a metal detecting club in this area..Carl

Hi Carl,

Are there enough detectorists in this area to start up a club? If so I would be glad to join it. And I'm sure we can get together for a hunt some time. Just shoot me a PM and we'll go from there.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure Tom will safeguard it for you!

OD, Tom actually said he would come up and find my IH for me. He followed that up by saying if he did he would be keeping it as he would have found it. Something about finders keepers and losers weepers? I told him to stay off my deck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread